Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: how would you feel about this

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    ok just so it's clear I don't have a problem with safety,fitness or motherhood or apple pie. all I was wondering is if you would feel comfortable diving with an op that seems to me to be a little uppity.
    In a word - nope.

Grouper
    Images
    [QUOTE]would you dive with this person for example?

Janet Bieser 1981 July R/V Wahoo second woman, and the youngest woman, member "Woman's Diver Hall Fame " The only woman Captain to operate expeditions to the Doria as the Master of the vessel.

doesn't exactly look like the perfect diver

[QUOTE=BUDMAN;476309]
    would you dive with this person for example?

Janet Bieser 1981 July R/V Wahoo second woman, and the youngest woman, member "Woman's Diver Hall Fame " The only woman Captain to operate expeditions to the Doria as the Master of the vessel.

doesn't exactly look like the perfect diver

Great example. How do you judge a persons abilities by looking at them. We all have seen the perfect human specimen that could not dive. If a dive shop has concerns pull the person aside outline the skills and physical abilities required for the five and politely say I just wantted to make sure you are up for it . If yes the shut up. They have no liability if I have a MI at 90 feet or if I do a rapid ascent and take a DCS hit. They expressed concern and were reassured that I was good to go that is all the responsibility that the dive shop has . The same with the dive buddy and DM. They are not required to save my butt but to only make the best effort within thier training and situation. Everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves and thier own actions

Grouper
    Budman you can always find an exception, I stated that, but who would use exceptions as their rule? That doesn't seem logical. I tend to dive with people I know or make sure I am prepared to rely on myself. I don't think the question is whether or not a person has skills, I think the issue is if things go wrong are they a liability or more at risk for an accident and the Dive Op gets to decide. The nice thing is there are many dive ops at this point who don't care so finding an operation to dive with should not be an issue. BR

Grouper
    Images
    BR and others that commented thanks for the feedback.

I think we've had a good discussion no negative comments just different opinions. that's why I love this forum as opposed to others.

Nothing against the dive op that sent me the form but right now I'm looking at others to see what they offer. Jusy may be a better fit for my state of mind.

Guppy
    I would think that the Captain of the boat would have the final say weather to let you on their dive boat or not. I do know first hand on the couple of dive boats I have been on that I just tell the crew my needs and they are usually very accommodating to me. As for the note that was sent out, I would take it with a grain of salt.
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic23231_5.gif

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information