Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how would you feel about this

Grouper
    Images

how would you feel about this

Diving Fitness.pdf

how would you feel if a dive op sent you this?

Images
    It seems a lot of people think it is their business to be in yours.....it's the trend now days. With that said, a diver makes a personal choice to participate in the sport. They know the risks and should physically take care of themselves, if not for them, but it does affect others that may have to drag them out of the bottom of a pit some day.

So, in general if something like that was sent to me my initial response would be kiss my a$$ and get out of my business. But, then again I kinda understand because if my fitness was poor it could affect others.

Just my 2 cents.

Snagel

Where do people draw the line. We have a mayor who is trying to make it illegal to buy a soda over 16 oz we have dive shops trying to tell you that you have to have x physical characteristic to dive. on the other side we have people sueing restaurants because they sold me a extra size and now I am fat. I'm sorry but can people just grow up and take and allow others to take responsibility for themselves . Know your risks accept them or don't but don't blame others and for goodness sakes don't try to tell me what to do about my business. If your my buddy and you think I'm to fat to dive dont dive with me. I will probably have a Better dive anyway

TadPole
    Well here is my 2 cents worth.....I had a friend 34 years old who was a fitness nerd.... in gym all the time...would not eat anything "unhealthy" die with a heart attack....just because you are physically fit does not mean you are in good health......

Grouper
    We've had several deaths on boats in this area over the last couple of years and most have been directly related to poor physical fitness. We're talking about divers who sit around doing nothing all winter and then their heart gets overloaded when they start lugging around their set of doubles. I can understand why a shop would start sending something like that out.

Grouper
    Images
    my problem is I'm not sure what this means. do they not want me to dive with them if I'm over 40? I've already sent them a deposit for my diving and I'm not sure what to do.

I've used several dive ops and as long as you sign the liability release you were good to go. Is this another CYA thing?

I hate to say it but I really do not need to dive with people that are a little elitist. Yeah I need to lose some weight like most Americans but I'm not in bad shape. I swim 3/4 mile fairly regularly at the gym and do not smoke or over drink alcohol.

the last DM I was with smoked like a fiend (not just tobacco either) even though he was young and thin I wonder about that.

My job is at times very physically demanding and I've never had a problem completing my tasks.

at this point I'm not sure what to do.

Grouper
    Sounds like a step in the right direction. DAN has a good article in the most recent mag that really discusses how people can over exert themselves while diving due to "weightlessness" you feel underwater. If anything it alerts people to the risk that are really out there even if you feel "fine" while in the water. It is a dive op and people can opt to not dive with them if they do not like it. I am not sure someone is an elitist if they point out the obvious. Smoking and being overweight put a tax on the body that normally would not be there. You can always find an example to the contrary, but who wants to base lifestyle on an exception. BR

Grouper
    Images
    how can you diagree with what it says? of course we all agree that fitness is better then the alternative. that's not the issue at all.

the issue is would you feel comfortable diving with an op that sent this out? I don't need attitude. I am diving drysuit here carrying a huge steel tank and 20 lbs of weights cold,murky water out of a tiny little boat so diving in warm,clear water with next to no weight and a 1mm suit is like dying and going to heaven.

they send that out but when I told them I'm ow cert only they said no problem diving to 100 fsw. Every other op I've been with at least paid lip service to above 60fsw. also I firmly believe in Rock bottom gas managment and diving to 100fsw or deeper on AL80's violates those principles.when I asked about 100cf tanks I got a real smart a$$ reply.

this op seems like very nice people just not sure they are what I'm looking for.

When I started diving it was a vacation thing. No one told me it was dangerous. The pool at the resort was small and shallow so the instructor skipped the swim test. I was extremely overweight. When things go well it is an easy, relaxing sport. When things go wrong they can go REALLY wrong. If conditions aren't ideal it is easy for someone who is borderline to have a heart attack. Heart attack is a leading cause of deaths in scuba diving. These are facts.

I took the letter to say, check yourself out. This letter might not apply to everyone but knowing is better than not knowing.

Could the letter have been written better? Absolutely. I am Mister Tactless and I found the letter to be a little offensive. It hints at "You're fat and out of shape. You should get your heart checked." I would assume they are well intended but poorly executed.

Most dive ops around here don't care. They just want your money. They do what is legally required. They would not send this letter because it is not legally required and it can actually open a whole bunch of problems if someone does have a heart attack on their dive charter. If you think you might not have the aerobic strength to dive, get a physical. Otherwise, go diving and have fun.

Your observation about the last DM is a good one as well. Looking fit does not mean you have a good heart and are fit to dive. My brother looks ripped. He has a six pack and good upper body strength. He also LOVES fried food and has had 3 heart attacks.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape, right? I've been caught in a 2 knot current and swam out of it. I passed my DM skills and count probably pass them again today. Truth is that I have lost 50 pounds since I started diving. If I hadn't I would have been a victim by now. My LDL was zero on last check. Since I started diving, I get an annual physical.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    How do I feel about it? I'll tell you how I feel about it. I would immediately return the letter with a note written on it. The note would say... I find this letter to be offensive. You are a dive shop. You sell dive gear and rent out equipment. I don't tell you how to run your business, so stay out of mine. If I need medical advice I will ask a professional, not a dive shop owner. In the future I will be doing business with your competitor.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information