Thread: question about the DC1400

Grouper
    Images

Question question about the DC1400

I just recently bought the DC1400 to replace my old camera (lost at sea in Cozumel @ Chankanab shallows), my old camera Olympus FE360 had a setting on the display for a grid does the DC1400 have that setting I could not seem to find it nor is it in the manual.

Also I was reading that the wide angle lens will fit the camera but is will cause vignetting. Are they going to make a lens that will not vignette the photo for the DC1400?
    I have dis... disleck... dyslec... I give up... I can't spell!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I'll take a stab at this, until someone else comes along with better answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Okc_diver View Post
    I just recently bought the DC1400 to replace my old camera (lost at sea in Cozumel @ Chankanab shallows), my old camera Olympus FE360 had a setting on the display for a grid does the DC1400 have that setting I could not seem to find it nor is it in the manual.
    You are correct; Olympus has this feature (which is an aid to working the Rule of Thirds in shooting) while the DC1400 does not. If I had to work around this limitation, I would obtain one of those clear plastic protectors sold for things like an iPhone screen, draw the grid on it with a fine point marker/pen, then stick it on the LCD screen of the camera. Removes easily as required.

Quote Originally Posted by Okc_diver View Post
    Also I was reading that the wide angle lens will fit the camera but it will cause vignetting. Are they going to make a lens that will not vignette the photo for the DC1400?
    Best answer is no as far as I can see, since what causes the vignetting is the optics of wide angle itself. If you adjust your shooting style slightly, it might be possible to crop the photo so the vignette effect is outside the cropped area and therefore never seen--or at least minimized. This of course is advice for still pictures--video is a different kettle of fish.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Thread Information