Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refresher course?

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Just to spar a little discussion here. So, if everybody that posted here was to stop diving today and 2 years from today decided to start up again...you would take a refresher course? I know several of you have over a 1000 dives under your belt.

Snagel
    Yes--though I suspect that it would be very brief.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ertechsg View Post
    Another option is hire a private DM/guide on your next trip once or twice til you are a little more comfortable in the water. They will help you on weak point and show you the critters that the rest of the group missed. Do what makes you feel safer.
    That's a great idea.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Just to spar a little discussion here. So, if everybody that posted here was to stop diving today and 2 years from today decided to start up again...you would take a refresher course? I know several of you have over a 1000 dives under your belt.

Snagel
    You make a good point Snagel.I guess it all depends on your experience and comfort level. I don't think I could forget my basic skills; but, I have 40 + years of experience. I do; however, do a checkout dive every time I get some new equipment. I live within a half hour of The Blue Lagoon, in Huntsville, Texas. Basically a quarry with 10 ft viz and a few platforms. It's mostly used for Scuba training. I take my PADI instructor buddy or my son with me to practice. I did a few checkout dives with my DAN SMB and finger spool and was very glad I did. It takes a bit of practice to get it right. It's kind of embarrassing to wrap yourself up in 50 feet of spool line. I also did a bunch with my new Cobalt to get used to it. Last weekend my son and I hung out on one of the platforms and practiced a bit. He wants to be a Navy rescue swimmer. We did some compass drills, buddy breathing and yes even some fin pivots to see how the new equipment affected my buoyancy. We also swapped fins. I was comparing My twin jets with my bio fins. Sure it's a good reason to get wet and beat the 100 degree heat; but, we also watch each other to see if we are picking up some bad habits.

On the other hand, I get slightly miffed when I dive some place new and they want to have me do a checkout dive in the swimming pool even after showing them my log book.

Not to hijack this thread; but, have you ever noticed when you are solo and get assigned a dive buddy how many are embarrassed when you want to do the basic checks. We used to call it BWRAF or something like that. Lord help you if you actually want to see how their computer works or how to actually use their spare air? How about BC dump valves? How many times have you seen buddies actually want to know where they are much less actually try them?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    That's the point I was trying to make earlier that it all depends on your experience and comfort level. I don't think you can just put a blanket statement out there saying to take a refresher course if you don't know anything about the person. Zeagle, I would guess that you probably would not take a refresher course given your experience level, but that could change. Again, you would have to make that decision at the time based on your comfort level.

I too try and and pick something every dive to work on - buoyancy, breathing, SMB Deployment, etc. Something during the dive to refresh my skills.

I've never done the solo thing. I've always been blessed with having my normal buddies along (at least one of them). We always do a check on each other still today and we have been diving together for almost 7 years - it is just part of what we do. I've seen the "insta-buddy" thing and it isn't pretty sometimes and normally not done correctly. Funny you mention the whole idea of knowing each others equipment. I have never seen a 'insta-buddy" actually take time to look at another persons gear to ensure they know where everything is. I've actually never really seen two that got paired up discuss their experience, let alone a should I say - Dive Plan. Usually, it is, "You two are together" and they jump.

Checkout dives - What a joke. I've been to many and not once did anybody really "check you out". Usually, it is a quick dive probably to satisfy an insurance requirement. Never had to do any in a pool.

Snagel

Images
    Yep, you are right. I don't want a refresher dive; but, then again I have never gone 2 years without diving. I wouldn't mind a quickie on what's new and improved. Did you know they changed CPR? No more breaths, just compress. As per the American Heart Association for the lay person. (Not trying to start a fight here. I am sure there are plenty out there that still do breaths.) Maybe going over some of the rules before getting on the boat, i.e., don't touch the turtles, don't touch the coral, stay with your buddy. That sort of stuff. Oh yeah, tuck your Octo away and don't drag it through the coral like you do your $600 reg.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information