Thread: Waterproof W3 vs Neosport XSpan 5mm

Waterproof W3 vs Neosport XSpan 5mm

I just got a new Neosport 5mm in the mail today. It's a nice suit and fits great, but I really hate thicker suits no matter what type, they just feel so bulky. But I'm heading to the Sea of Cortez in a couple weeks and the water is in the 70s this time of the year, and can dip into the 60s at times. I normally dive a 3mm that is old and very thin on this trip, and last year it was pretty chilly many days, so I decided I needed a 5mm for this trip. But this new 5mm seems so heavy compared to my old Henderson 3mm Thermoprene.

So now I'm wondering if I would be happier with a Waterproof W3 that is 3.5mm? Has anyone tried this suit compared to a Henderson/Neosport stretchy suit (XSpan/Hyperstretch/etc.) in a 5mm? It says it's lined so I wonder if it will be close to as warm as a 5mm unlined suit?

Grouper
    You might not be happy in 5mm if you are going to dive for a few days and do pretty well on air consumption. BR

Funeral Jorunna
    Lee quit your crying I'll be wearing a 7 mm on that trip. I hate wearing thicker suits but you know what I hate more calling a dive because I'm cold.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    Lee quit your crying I'll be wearing a 7 mm on that trip. I hate wearing thicker suits but you know what I hate more calling a dive because I'm cold.
    , Okay, I'll wear the 5 and probably be glad I did... I'll get used to it and after a few dives it should stretch out a little and loosen up. It didn't help that it's 100 degrees today when I tried it on. And this suit does feel like a 7mm, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it and my 7mm suit, but then I guess they all feel pretty thick next to my old worn out 3mm.

Thread Information