Thread: Surface interval and running?

Guppy

Surface interval and running?

Not sure if this belongs in here or should be in the fitness thread (sorry)... I was wondering if going for a run on a surface interval has any effect on the nitrogen load and if this could have any ill effects? (other than making me tired)

Images
    I have heard that strenuous exercise on a surface interval increases the chances of a DCS hit. That would include lugging your tanks back to the car. I would advise against it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    That is kind of what I figured. What about running before the dive day begins? Say the first dive will be at 8 and I get up and go running at 6? Is that ok or basically the same thing?

Grouper
    You could call DAN, they have had some interesting articles on exercise and diving in recent mags. BR

Funeral Jorunna
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperGR View Post
    That is kind of what I figured. What about running before the dive day begins? Say the first dive will be at 8 and I get up and go running at 6? Is that ok or basically the same thing?
    I've got a friend who does triathlons and when we were in Bonaire he ran every morning before the dive day began. Actually he ran and Dave and I did a pre breakfast dive. He never had any problems but it couldn't hurt to check with DAN as BRsnow suggests.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    I agree, it seemed DAN implied moderate activity might be beneficial, but I am no DR and figure speaking with them direct is probably best

Guppy
    Alright thanks for the info guys. I will def be sure to check with DAN.

Any strenuous physical exercise should be done up to 24 hours before or after a set of dives and avoided between dives. I treat it like flying after diving. I purposefully plan my hiking on trips with this in mind as well.

DAN Reference: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...ise_and_diving

In summary, physical fitness -- including both strength and aerobic capacity -- is important for divers both for physical safety and decompression safety. Regular exercise training is best scheduled to separate intense exercise and diving. Intense physical training should be 24 hours on either side of diving activity. Any exercise within 24 hours of diving should involve the lowest possible joint forces.
    There is a better DAN article on the subject somewhere but this popped up near the top of my searching.

Thread Information