Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Texas Divers, looking to meet other Texas Divers

Quote Originally Posted by bdant85 View Post
    I get certified the end of August (open water test on the 25 and 26) and none of my friends are willing to try diving with me. So I will be just as new to this as you guys but would like to meet some people to go diving with.
    So...I have to ask...what is it your friends know that we don't? OK, that wasn't as funny on screen as it was in my head. Sorry.

Where are you doing your OW dives?

Everything went to plan for me last weekend. I now have a theoretical C-Card and an actual snazzy new BP/W set-up from Scubatoys (I jumped the gun on that and got it before the OW weekend/used it on one of the OW dives) so as soon as I scrape together a few other bits and pieces I'll even be able to dive in my own gear!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So...I have to ask...what is it your friends know that we don't? OK, that wasn't as funny on screen as it was in my head. Sorry.

Where are you doing your OW dives?

Everything went to plan for me last weekend. I now have a theoretical C-Card and an actual snazzy new BP/W set-up from Scubatoys (I jumped the gun on that and got it before the OW weekend/used it on one of the OW dives) so as soon as I scrape together a few other bits and pieces I'll even be able to dive in my own gear!
    I'm going through scuba toys they do theirs at CSSP I talked to them about buying gear first they told me I should wait til after I get certified so I have a better idea of what to buy. Talking to them they are pretty confident everything will go as planned. Im ready to go and get it done so i can start diving. I paid for my class back in may and haven't had two weekends open where I could take the course.

Images
    That's why I love Scuba Toys. Most dive stores pressure you into buying expensive equipment before you get certified. Not ST. Any experienced diver will tell you to wait.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Personally, I don't think the choice of waiting or rushing in depends on a lot of factors, but it is easy to rush ahead with gear purchases faster than you should. I wouldn't recommend it, but I am very glad I did it.

Amusing aside... Years ago, living in California, I decided to buy my first motorcycle. California has a riding test for getting your endorsement but they don't like administering it, so they make it very hard and give you the alternative of taking a motorcycle safety class. So that's what I did. There were maybe 40 students in the class.

I was the only one there who didn't own a motorcycle. About half the class had new high dollar (well over $10k) bikes they had just bought. Judging from how they handled the little 125cc bikes in the class, these people had never ridden before.

By the standards of someone buying a $23,000 Harley and then taking the class to learn how to ride, spending under $500 on a BC is downright responsible. :-D

Images
    Do you still have that BC That Guy?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Yes, acknowledging that someone could criticize my use of the term "BC" to describe a stainless backplate, 30lb wing, Hogarthian harness, two cam bands and crotch strap, I still have my first BC.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Yes, acknowledging that someone could criticize my use of the term "BC" to describe a stainless backplate, 30lb wing, Hogarthian harness, two cam bands and crotch strap, I still have my first BC.
    That Sounds more like a technical harness then a bc are you planning to start diving tech? I've been looking into it and think it would be cool to see wrecks and caverns that no one else has ever seen. But I know it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to get into that so I will probably work up to that slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by bdant85 View Post
    That Sounds more like a technical harness then a bc are you planning to start diving tech? I've been looking into it and think it would be cool to see wrecks and caverns that no one else has ever seen. But I know it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to get into that so I will probably work up to that slowly.
    I think it's only a tec harness on the back of a tec diver. For me it is Buoyancy Control.

Mainly I want to dive places like Alaska. I don't know how "tec" that is but cold water and I'm interested in some overhead environments. I got a lot of advice from various sorts of divers and it all boiled down to this gear being suitable for learning in, and future goals, but I should try as much gear as I could. I still hope to try as much as I can but the loss from flipping a BC is fairly low compared to renting more than a few weekends.

TadPole
    Alaska sounds a little cold for me but I think cave diving and wreck diving would be pretty cool. I was thinking of going with the zeagle brigade bc that ST offers because it give the back inflate for easier control with the ease of a vest bc. I do want to do my advanced open water and nitrox classes as soon as possible. I figure I'll buy gear as I find out what I really like and don't like. I do want to go new because the warranties are worth it most of the time and you never know how well someone else took care of their equipment.

Yeah, cold may be more tolerable in theory than practice. That's just something I'm going to have to learn about myself as I go.

I looked at the Zeagle Brigade - seems really nice to me. Some of those back-inflate soft BCs, when folded, are very compact for travel. It eventually came down to the BP/W seeming like more of a platform that I can adapt as my needs change.

If we dive together you are welcome to try my BP/W if we can get it adjusted to your size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information