Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos or Video? Also Memory Card of Choice?

Guppy

Photos or Video? Also Memory Card of Choice?

So I recently got a Hd Hero 2 Motorsports camera for diving and I'm lookign at the different options as far as mounts(head mounted versus wrist,etc) as well as the different memory cards available.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-mo...edition/#specs

It just seems like the 32G cards only hold 2 hours of video at 1080P whereas I can get roughly 4,000 pictures off of a 32G card.
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDX-032G-X46,Black: Electronics

This is the card I'm looking at, wish I could use the 128G card but the Hero 2 caps it at 32G.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm going to be traveling with it and I don't have a laptop that I can take with me to upload the pictures at night, so I'd rather just have a couple of cards and then change them out.

I take it pictures are better space wise so that I can take more of them? It would be nice to be able to just have days worth of head mounted video, but I guess the technology has a ways to go before that's available.

Is there really even a sizeable difference in quality between 1080P(4 hours videos) and 960P(6 hours of video)?

Is a class 10 memory card worth the extra money in order to have time-lapsed photos every 0.5 seconds?

I'm kind of new to this whole photography thing..

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Are you planning on spending more than 2 hours on a dive? How long are your typical dives, 30 - 40 minutes? You can easily put 2 - 3 dives on a single card. If you aren't taking a laptop, just make sure you have enough cards.

Don't try to use the GoPro for diving photos, you will be disapointed in the results.

I would recommend that you spend time playing with the mount and shooting test videos at home before you go. It's frustrating to miss something close to you because the camera angle isn't straight forward like you want.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Barracuda
    Images
    You could bring a couple of thumb drives and hope you can find a computer at the hotel to transfer to. What I do is bring my IPad and it has an adapter that allows me to download the SD cards then when I get home I transfer them to my home computer. I wouldn't want to go entire trip without viewing my movies, I usually can improve my pictures/video during the coarse of the trip just by previewing them.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    For about $200 you can get an Acer (Walmart and other "fine" stores or online). It's tiny and light, has enough memory and hard disk, has onboard wireless, and has 3 USB ports. I bring one along with some honking big thumb drives and it's everything I need. Handy too to contact home for free - either email or Skype. No phone problems or roaming charges.

If you haven't picked up one of the underwater lens housings for it, I would suggest getting one. GoPro has their own now: http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/dive-housing/ but there are some 3rd party options Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing Blur Fix Glass lens and Underwater Removable Filter Mount

They also have a headstrap mount: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/head-strap-mount/ You will have some bubbles in the stream but if you are looking for an easy out of the way mount, that would be a good choice since it will film what you are looking at.

The wrist mount would work for another out of the way mount but would require a bit more effort to operate: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/hd-wrist-housing/

Most divers I have seen that have a good quality video use a handheld video tray with lights such as this Backscatter GoPro Handle & Tray with Tripod Adapter. If going without any lighting consider adding a Lee Filter to the inside of the housing. Rolls are usually less than $10. Seems the 779 or the 790 are good choices for blue water. Adding red into video at post is a PIA.

As fire diver said, I would carry several cards. That way if something does happen you only lose one dive day worth of media rather than an entire trip. The high end fast cards are kind of a waste in the GoPro. It isn't fast enough to really take advantage of them. Most quality mid-range 32GB card is going to work well as most write faster than Class 10. Often manus don't think it is important to pay for the labeling.
    Last edited by Straegen; 08-01-2012 at 10:01.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    IMO, I suggest always using the fastest media available at the time for maximum read/write/buffer speeds based on what your equipment is compatible with. This is important because camcorders (particularly high definition ones) require storage that can deal with a constant flow of data, while still cameras only need it to work in sudden bursts as the images are saved. Right now class 10 SDHC.

As far as storage capacity, you never want to completely fill a card, this increases the chances of corrupted files. Also one of the issues with putting a large portion of your information on one card is what happens if it is lost, stolen or corrupted. IMO the best practice would be determine how much of your information you are willing to risk (1 or 2 dives? 1 day? Maybe a specific shot or moment that is very important) and change cards to reduce the risk of loosing your work.

Of course it is a very good idea to have at least one way to back up your cards/information in the field (laptop, portable hard drive or some type of tablet/media storage device) and a secure case for storing your used and unused formatted media cards.
    DevilDiver

Guppy
    Looks like most of my concerns were addressed by my family who apparently has a ton of 16GB SD cards that I can borrow.

Do you guys find yourselves taking video or pictures more? It seems like video burns through memory a lot faster than pictures...

Images
    When I travel I change out cards every day. This way if something happens like a flooded camera I don't lose my whole vacation. Actually, had this happen to on a video camera one year. Luckily I had changed media cards and didn't lose everything.

Snagel

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    IMO, I suggest always using the fastest media available at the time for maximum read/write/buffer speeds based on what your equipment is compatible with. This is important because camcorders (particularly high definition ones) require storage that can deal with a constant flow of data, while still cameras only need it to work in sudden bursts as the images are saved. Right now class 10 SDHC.
    If you want the really fast cards get them with UHS-I support. The GoPro doesn't take advantage of this performance but sucking down files from them does with a high end card reader. Following the logic here a bit, SD days are numbered. A lot of devices ship with Micro-SD card support and it is backward compatible with an adapter. We use them for most of our vacation gear because our phones and tablets can read them directly without an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousdiver View Post
    Do you guys find yourselves taking video or pictures more? It seems like video burns through memory a lot faster than pictures...
    GoPro still images are not very good but probably fine for most users facebook posts. Mine is used exclusively for video and we break out a camera built for stills when we want to take "nice" photos.
    Last edited by Straegen; 08-01-2012 at 17:36.

Barracuda
    Images
    Have an Acer net book that I transfer files to each day wether it is a diving trip or land tour. Pictures can be lost due to a bunch of things. In fAct, at work I sometimes transfer the files in the field. (Crime Scene) It also helps to review them to improve your techniques. I found I get better picture using video versus still. I just dont want to spend the effort underwater. I 'm there to just move along not stress out to be perect. My brother just got a aGo Pro and he's trying it ouyt next month in Coz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information