Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Toys Package

Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You also need to have excellent trim, staying level at all times and being able to hover without kicking while performing different task and moving no more than a couple of feet in the water column. One task that you will have to do is shoot a SMB from depth and our instructor would not let you move more than foot and that is just a basic tech class, no where near what GUE requires. Here is another task, shoot a SMB from about 30 feet then ascend the line by placing a close pin every 3 feet hovering for 2 minutes each stop without going up or down more than few inches and stay perfectly level in the water.
    Snarkies... that is some zen diving right there. Shooting a line and staying in position is an impressive skill. I still shift around all over the place when I am doing. I suppose it is harder in drift current but even in a pool I am sure I would struggle to stay within a foot.

TadPole
    Well I am a big guy but I am only about 30lbs over weight right now. I am in a bulking phase (I lift weights), so i do tend to accumulate fat while building muscle during my bulking phases. This was why I was drawn to a harness, because it can grow and shrink with me.

So are you saying, don't worry to much about it and go with what feels right or are you saying I shouldn't even try DIR and just buy a cressi complete package for the same amount of money but get a computer as well?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Not CWSWine, but...it isn't DIR (noun). DIR (noun) is, well, here's The Word from one of the founders:

"If it's not clean and simple, it's not Hogarthian. If it's not Hogarthian, it's not right. If you're not doing it right, don't do it at all!" - George Irvine

DIR represents a view of what it means to be right, and within that an individual diver taking a non-standard approach is like an individual raised in certain religions deciding it's OK to eat pork. That's not a bad way to look at the whole thing actually. A religion can't really tell you what to do or stop you from doing something. They can tell you it's bad in their view. They can say that their view is the only right view. They can excommunicate you, ask others to ostricise you. They can maybe even ask that you not claim to be one of them... but that's iffy. Well it's the same for DIR. They can say what they like, it doesn't stop you from doing whatever you end up doing and it doesn't mean what you are doing can't be right by some non-DIR standard or another. All they can say is that it won't be DIR (noun).

DIR may not be available to you anyway. Disregarding your mention of sidemount and your interest in multiple configurations, you said you were a "big guy" and that's usually a polite euphemism. That's not DIR either.

Grouper
    DIR/GUE is only works if you plan on only diving with DIR/GUE divers......once you dive with others, the GUE philosophy is out the window.

For what its worth, 90% of the tech community use the same kit, (minus us side mounters) so go with what you feel is right.....the kit you picked out earlier is fine for pretty well all types of diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod View Post
    Well I am a big guy but I am only about 30lbs over weight right now. I am in a bulking phase (I lift weights), so i do tend to accumulate fat while building muscle during my bulking phases. This was why I was drawn to a harness, because it can grow and shrink with me.
    There are a lot of BCs that adjust amazing well including the Zeagle mentioned earlier. If you are that muscle heavy, I am guessing you sink like a rock so a metal backplate is probably very optional and if travel diving is in your future you may want to look at something similar to a DSS softplate system or a simple back inflate BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod View Post
    So are you saying, don't worry to much about it and go with what feels right or are you saying I shouldn't even try DIR and just buy a cressi complete package for the same amount of money but get a computer as well?
    No on the Cressi (though honestly I don't know much about them).

Also no on DIR (though not on some of the equipment and ideas that DIR also uses).

I think you should find out what regulators and the like you can get serviced locally, and then build up a rig along the lines of:

1 bp (ss if you use a lot of lead)
    1 oxycheq mach v 30lb wing
    11 or so feet of 2" webbing
    1 Weight belt/harness buckle
    3-4 (2 shoulder, at least left hip) d-rings and the slotted plates that go with 'em.
    2 cam straps
    2 sex bolts
    1 Crotch strap
    2 xs weight pouches for cam strap
    1 Standard weight belt w/buckle
    1 spg (2" or so)
    1 high pressure hose of correct length for your body (for spg)
    1 cold water primary regulator with yoke mount you can get serviced locally, preferably convertible to DIN (that was a good idea), alternatively a DIN reg and yoke adapter.
    2 second stage regs you can get serviced locally
    1 24" low pressure hose
    1 84" low pressure hose
    2 stainless bolt snaps (1 for spg, 1 for 2nd stage on long hose)
    1 regulator necklace or length of bungee for DIY necklace

There may be some other bits I'm forgetting. Don't let 'em talk you into quick release weight pockets IMO - stick with the belt for a lot less $$.

That's not really DIR kosher but it isn't a bacon cheeseburger either. I'm not sure exactly what it'll cost you but ST did me a good deal on a less complete package, I bet they'd do as good/better for the whole thing.

On top of that to actually dive you'll need the capabilities provided by:
    1 inexpensive computer (depth instrument)
    1 suunto sk7 or equivalent wrist mount compass
    1 pair EMT shears
    Lead
    Exposure gear

Good ideas:
    1 whistle
    1 smb/fingerspool/etc
    1 light appropriate to local conditions

I assume you have some zip ties and the like.

Barracuda
    Images
    The guy just put together a great kit to get you started with and will last a long time. I even travel with SS plate, I put in carryon and the way it curves it fits the bottom of carryon bag perfect. The only other concern would be fins, when I dive the basic kit above in 5mil wetsuit and steel HP100 I don't need any additional weight but I do need heaver fins to maintain buoyancy because I'm head heavy. HP hose and SPG DIR style the hose needs to be long enough to attach the SPG to your waist D-Ring, I don't do it that way I like to have it long enough to cross the chest and hook to a chest d-ring. With hook to the chest d-ring all I have to do is glance down to read the gauge. I prefer my dive computer to be on my wrist because I dive with my hands extend out in from me I can just glance at my depth and time and I think easier to maintain a safety/deco stop without having to hold the computer in my hand.
    - Dennis ><()))">

TadPole
    That Guy,

Thanks. That is the best list I have seen of what I need. That is a great idea about the regs and equipment to make sure I can get them serviced and inspected.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    No on the Cressi (though honestly I don't know much about them).

Also no on DIR (though not on some of the equipment and ideas that DIR also uses).

I think you should find out what regulators and the like you can get serviced locally, and then build up a rig along the lines of:

1 bp (ss if you use a lot of lead)
    1 oxycheq mach v 30lb wing
    11 or so feet of 2" webbing
    1 Weight belt/harness buckle
    3-4 (2 shoulder, at least left hip) d-rings and the slotted plates that go with 'em.
    2 cam straps
    2 sex bolts
    1 Crotch strap
    2 xs weight pouches for cam strap
    1 Standard weight belt w/buckle
    1 spg (2" or so)
    1 high pressure hose of correct length for your body (for spg)
    1 cold water primary regulator with yoke mount you can get serviced locally, preferably convertible to DIN (that was a good idea), alternatively a DIN reg and yoke adapter.
    2 second stage regs you can get serviced locally
    1 24" low pressure hose
    1 84" low pressure hose
    2 stainless bolt snaps (1 for spg, 1 for 2nd stage on long hose)
    1 regulator necklace or length of bungee for DIY necklace

There may be some other bits I'm forgetting. Don't let 'em talk you into quick release weight pockets IMO - stick with the belt for a lot less $$.

That's not really DIR kosher but it isn't a bacon cheeseburger either. I'm not sure exactly what it'll cost you but ST did me a good deal on a less complete package, I bet they'd do as good/better for the whole thing.

On top of that to actually dive you'll need the capabilities provided by:
    1 inexpensive computer (depth instrument)
    1 suunto sk7 or equivalent wrist mount compass
    1 pair EMT shears
    Lead
    Exposure gear

Good ideas:
    1 whistle
    1 smb/fingerspool/etc
    1 light appropriate to local conditions

I assume you have some zip ties and the like.

You are welcome. It is a compilation of the "best" (as far as I can judge) advice I was given not very long ago at all, so I can't claim any credit.

One thing I don't entirely understand is why most online packages have something missing or slightly "off target" about them. I'm not singling out ST on this but you'll see "long hose" regulator packages with one bolt snap (why not both?), or for e.g. the ST BP/W packaged you started this thread with has a fairly techie BP/W coupled with a fairly "recreational" regulator configuration (no long hose, low performance backup second stage reg, etc). I think they are all completely workable combinations but I would have guessed that most people who have been lured into drinking the BP/W koolaide probably want the full kit.

Shark
    I would like to jump in here again.

Jerrod, I would like to advise you to get your reg set and computer now, and get your BC or BP/W later.

I've wasted a lot of money on BCs, etc. But, I finally settled on the Zeagle Express Tech. That works for me.

But, I think that you should play the field (by renting and borrowing rigs) until you find the one that's right for you.

Edit to add: If you buy the package that you originally wanted, I would be willing to trade you an almost new (maybe 3 dives) DiveRite Octo, for your Viper.

Images
    What Largo said.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information