Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scuba Toys Package

TadPole

Scuba Toys Package

Hi,

I am interested in buying this package Extreme Reg and BPW Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys

I am a beginner but after diving a bp/w, I want one.

I hope someone can help me with the following questions.

1. Assuming a SS backplate, will this backplate support double and side mounts?
    2. Is the deluxe harness worth it?
    3. What I be better with the 30 lbs or 40 lbs wing? Should I pay the upgrade fee and go with a wing that supports both single and doubles? I am 6"0' and 290lbs.
    4. What are sex bolts and do I need them?
    5. The wing OxyCheq Mach V Signature Wing discounts on sale OxyCheq does not have any of those bottom dump values for air, or am I just not seeing it? Maybe this is a dumb question, but does this wing have an infiltrator like a typical bc? It's hard to tell.
    6. What do people think of this regulator? What is a free safe second?
    7. Is this viper regulator decent? A guy was telling me it is OK, but might not deliver the air to a big guy like me in a high stress situation. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help,

Jerrod

TadPole
    I forgot to mention, I posted this in DIR because I am hoping to move into DIR and am set to take the GUE primer in two months, so i want to make sure I get something that meets the DIR criteria.

1. I will leave the side mount and doubles conversation for someone more experienced than I. I will say that most divers I know that switch between singles and doubles tend to have two rigs. It can be a pain to constantly break down a BPW but some do without complaint.

2. No, especially if you plan on going DIR which emphasizes simple and it doesn't get much more simple than a single strap.

3. Depends on the diving you are doing. A wing needs to have enough lift to float the rig and manage any loss in buoyancy during the dive. A 30# can float most single tank rigs easily and unless you are diving some cold water with a thick wetsuit or drysuit (which has its own requirements) it will be more than adequate. In warm water, typically 20# is more than enough but it really does matter what environments you will be diving.

4. Sex bolts are bolts that screw together from both sides with one bolt screwing into another. You don't need them as any wing nut or similar will work to fasten a wing to the plate, but they are nice as they sit flush.

5. Wings have a typical inflator and if memory serves the 30#/40# Oxycheq has a pull dump valve in the bottom of the wing.

6. With Hollis just make sure you can swap out the hose for a standard hose. I don't think they make the strange Hollis only hose models any longer but I would certainly check. Reg itself looks fine but I am partial to regs with a two year service interval rather than one. Most modern regs even cheap ones are more than capable as a company would be out of business quickly if regs weren't made reasonably well. The difference between a low end and mid range reg is how easy and dry it breathes as a diver descends. The difference between mid range and high end are often very small degrees in performance with expensive models often having exotic materials. If diving cold water, sealed regs are a must.

7. Viper is fine but breathes very wet. Not a huge deal since you will only need it when something goes wrong so it's most important feature is that it works in your dive environment (you need sealed for cold water diving). However, I am a believer in having essentially the same octo as the standard reg. If something goes wrong and you have to use your octo, breathing on a more labored breathing reg that isn't as dry could potentially add extra stress to that situation. I also like having the same parts, service interval, etc as well. But absolutely nothing wrong with going with a Viper aside from that preference assuming it meets your dive requirements.

With your size you are probably going to want a weight harness instead of belt. I suggest the DUI Weight and Trim system.

Lastly, dive a lot before jumping into doubles, side mount, etc. Nothing wrong with looking forward, but a lot will likely change between now and then. BPWs have interchangeable parts which can help defer costs, but IMO always buy for what you are going to dive today. You can and probably will upgrade as you go along. If you buy for what you may use tomorrow, you will probably end up buying a bunch of stuff that your don't need, doesn't work for you or you won't be happy with when you get there.

IMO I would keep rec diving well passed 50 dives before I jumped on some of the truly advanced diving, but nothing wrong with DIR, AOW, Rescue Diver and the like somewhat early on.
    Last edited by Straegen; 08-11-2012 at 11:35.

Barracuda
    Images
    If you are going DIR the Viper octo is not DIR along with the deluxe harness won't make it either. You will also need a 7 foot hose on your primary reg and 22 or 24 inch hose on your octo on a necklace. You don't want to try to buy a wing that will work with singles and doubles, there isn't a wing to my knowledge that does both well. You will probably dive a SS plate in singles and AL plate with doubles. Backplates are probably the worst possible choice for attempting sidemounting but doesn't matter because sidemount is not DIR/GUE and frowned upon by the DIR/GUE community. If DIR/GUE are in you future the sooner you get with a instructor the better, he will guide your equipment purchases and prevent costly mistakes.
    - Dennis ><()))">

If you ask I bet ST will build a combo just for you. You don't need to order a predefined kit to get a good deal.

BTW: I'm not a DIR expert. If I misrepresent anything it isn't intentional and I appreciate correction - that way everyone learns.

DIN vs Yoke. DIR = DIN. DIN isn't the universal standard for several reasons though. If you will be renting tanks you may want to own a yoke reg. The DIN to Yoke adapters can cause reg/head clearance issues. (FWIW I have a HOG DIN reg I use w/ a yoke adapter...no issues so far.)

DIR has some very specific harness layout standards. If you have ST cut you 11' of webbing and thread it however you want now, finding out that DIR uses a different D-ring placement is a matter of rerigging instead of buying over.

Using two identical second stage regulators means you have two identical second stage regulators, which could come in handy later on in gear reconfiguration and maintenance. The octo regs are like those tiny emergency spare tires - better than nothing but you can't rotate them with your normal tires and when you need them they'll make an already stressful situation just a bit worse.

The hose length on SPG may need to be adjusted if you are very small or large. I bet ST could swap that too if you need.

Hope that helps.

As for Din v Yoke another option is to buy regs that easily switch between DIN and Yoke fittings. My Atomic regs are converted quickly from Yoke to DIN and back again. I ended up buying a special socket to make it easy but ultimately better than an adapter IMO.

TadPole
    Thanks for the breakdown and for answering my questions. I will definitely continue to rec dive till probably the summer of 2014. I am SSI OW and and have about 17 dives in including my cert dives. I am doing NAUI AOW to get more experience and the GUE primer this year. Next year I hope to do rescue and then spend the entire summer of 2013 diving and gaining experience. I am very safety oriented, so I won't even go to 60 ft right now because my skills are not sufficient. I am doing the AOW so I get some of the tips and tricks and make sure I am safe.

I live in KY and we will be diving cold water up to about 45 F. So I think I will need the 40lbs wing. Those regs say they are cold water ready. Do you agree with that? For the octo, do you think I should get the same hollis reg?

I will definitely check with ST and make sure I can switch hoses. If I couldn't that would defeat my whole point with going simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post

IMO I would keep rec diving well passed 50 dives before I jumped on some of the truly advanced diving, but nothing wrong with DIR, AOW, Rescue Diver and the like somewhat early on.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    If you are going DIR the Viper octo is not DIR along with the deluxe harness won't make it either. You will also need a 7 foot hose on your primary reg and 22 or 24 inch hose on your octo on a necklace. You don't want to try to buy a wing that will work with singles and doubles, there isn't a wing to my knowledge that does both well. You will probably dive a SS plate in singles and AL plate with doubles. Backplates are probably the worst possible choice for attempting sidemounting but doesn't matter because sidemount is not DIR/GUE and frowned upon by the DIR/GUE community. If DIR/GUE are in you future the sooner you get with a instructor the better, he will guide your equipment purchases and prevent costly mistakes.
    CWSWine, why exactly is it not doing it right? I think your right, I need to get with my future instructor to discuss things before buying anything. I didn't realize that I would probably want to switch plates if I am diving doubles. I guess bp/w is not a one stop solution for everything as I thought. When I dove with the zeagle express tech (granted not what I am buying), the guy made it sound like it could do anything.
    Thanks.

TadPole
    I have been thinking about calling ST.

I have also been worried about the DIN and yoke fittings. Everything here is a yoke. I figured DIN would only be in Europe (wrongly I guess, but at work we build boilers and we spec DIN pipes for only EN jobs), I guess I need to look farther into DIR and see if I truly want to adhere to the standards 100%. I don't know any DIR/GUE divers yet, but I love the philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    If you ask I bet ST will build a combo just for you. You don't need to order a predefined kit to get a good deal.

BTW: I'm not a DIR expert. If I misrepresent anything it isn't intentional and I appreciate correction - that way everyone learns.

DIN vs Yoke. DIR = DIN. DIN isn't the universal standard for several reasons though. If you will be renting tanks you may want to own a yoke reg. The DIN to Yoke adapters can cause reg/head clearance issues. (FWIW I have a HOG DIN reg I use w/ a yoke adapter...no issues so far.)

DIR has some very specific harness layout standards. If you have ST cut you 11' of webbing and thread it however you want now, finding out that DIR uses a different D-ring placement is a matter of rerigging instead of buying over.

Using two identical second stage regulators means you have two identical second stage regulators, which could come in handy later on in gear reconfiguration and maintenance. The octo regs are like those tiny emergency spare tires - better than nothing but you can't rotate them with your normal tires and when you need them they'll make an already stressful situation just a bit worse.

The hose length on SPG may need to be adjusted if you are very small or large. I bet ST could swap that too if you need.

Hope that helps.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod View Post
    I forgot to mention, I posted this in DIR because I am hoping to move into DIR and am set to take the GUE primer in two months, so i want to make sure I get something that meets the DIR criteria.
    You should contact the person who is going to teach that course. She or he will probably want you to buy a bunch of Halcyon gear.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information