Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where should we go to dive & vacation?

TadPole

where should we go to dive & vacation?

New here....first post.....My wife & I have been diving in Cozumel almost 95% of our dives. We are looking for a new place (we are on a budget.) Good diving is important as well as great beaches. We love to spend time walking on beautiful beaches. Do you suggest: Belize? Caymans (I am concerned too expensive)? Jamaica? St Thomas? St. John? Trunk Bay? Pleas, please give me reasons WHY or WHY NOT; pictures if possible; as much info as possible; place to stay etc etc.

We have been certified for over 20 years and dive a few times a year. Both have the basic certification. We both have been to depths of 110' or so, we're comfortable with decompression stops, btw have done walls, and night dives. While I feel were are fairly experienced and we are very comfortable down there....I would not say we are experts.

So.....where do you suggest we go and WHY? Pictures too if you have them......THANKS!!!!

Is this primarily a full dive vacation or is diving a side activity? Do you prefer night life or outdoor activities between dives?

Some suggestions:

If this is primarily a dive vacation and night life isn't a big deal: Bonaire, Honduras, St Croix

If this is primarily a dive vacation and night is a big deal: Curacao

Belize would be a wonderful option as well. Great dives, great beaches, great food...I think it's fairly reasonable in terms of cost as well. Check out the White Sands Dive Shop in Ambergris Caye for more info and pictures.
    Chilly

Images
    In the same boat, trying to pick a vacation spot for end of year. Will be watching this thread for ideas.

If you haven't been to Bonaire, it's a must. But, not really the sandy beach type of vacation. We did Curacao last year and had a great beach at the Breezes Resort, but I think they changed ownership and up'd their prices.

Snagel

TadPole

Dive website

Although I am not an experienced diver, I have spent a bit of time in Cozumel area kitesurfing. I did take a quick course but am not too familiar. However, one of my fellow kiters (who also is a diver) referred me to these guys. They have a variety of sites for all sorts of water sports all around the world. Specifically, I went to the Canaries with them and it was simple and easy. I had an excellent time and considered booking a dive course with them while on my trip. Although I did not, I may do so in the future. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    www.sportbay.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Belize would be a wonderful option as well. Great dives, great beaches, great food...I think it's fairly reasonable in terms of cost as well. Check out the White Sands Dive Shop in Ambergris Caye for more info and pictures.
    Both times we were in Belize (once in the rainy season... do not go then) we were put off a bit by the armed guards. Something odd about driving through town seeing guys with AKs standing in front of banks and the like to put us a bit off on a place. It was beautiful though.

Another option is Turks which has beaches ranked with the best in the world. Something I like to throw out there is Florida. Great diving off of Key Largo and the West Palm Beach areas, nice beaches and probably as affordable of a vacation a person can get. It doesn't have that escapist resort feel to it, but it does have a great night life depending on where you stay. Key West could certainly be in the running now that they have a decent wreck to dive and Largo is a short run north.
    Last edited by Straegen; 08-15-2012 at 09:41.

Guppy
    whats your budget $$$$?

Barracuda
    Images
    Airfare may be a bit pricey ( last checked it was $1550) but the diving in Dahab, Egypt is out of this world. It is all guided shore dives with any depth you want from 15 feet to 300 ( techies only) the 300 is 20 yards off shore. The fish are there in the thousands and coral that is really different from Coz. We've dove 2 times with Dive Urge (Around $900 room,diving, Breakfast, 4 divers max to guide, we've had 1 for 2 divers) and were sceduled to last march but the revolution stopped it. We're looking at going back fairly soon. The night life is limited in Dahab, Sharm is lively but more divers & less fish, and wrecks. Plus you could do a short Egypt tour, I do know a reputable guide. Used him 3 times so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Airfare may be a bit pricey ( last checked it was $1550) but the diving in Dahab, Egypt is out of this world. It is all guided shore dives with any depth you want from 15 feet to 300 ( techies only) the 300 is 20 yards off shore. The fish are there in the thousands and coral that is really different from Coz. We've dove 2 times with Dive Urge (Around $900 room,diving, Breakfast, 4 divers max to guide, we've had 1 for 2 divers) and were sceduled to last march but the revolution stopped it. We're looking at going back fairly soon. The night life is limited in Dahab, Sharm is lively but more divers & less fish, and wrecks. Plus you could do a short Egypt tour, I do know a reputable guide. Used him 3 times so far.
    While it is probably safe, Egypt isn't in the best shape these days with all the turmoil.

TadPole
    No interest with night life. 50/50 (relaxing & walking on beach) the other is diving. Been MANY MANY time to Cozumel. Wish there were more or better beaches. Budget is about $3000.00 for the 2 of us. It is easily done in Cozumel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information