Thread: What makes one back plate cost 2 - 3 times as much as another?

What makes one back plate cost 2 - 3 times as much as another?

I can see a difference in price in certain pieces of gear, like regulators or wings, based on technology, but I don't see where back plates, basically a piece of metal, have such a wide range of prices. The Dive Rite SS plate is $89, the Zeagle is $164 and a halcyon is $215. What, if anything, makes one worth (or cost) that much more than another?
    ----------
    It's not that life is so short, it's that you're dead for so long.

Grouper
    the actual weight and brand name.........that's pretty well about it.

Halcyon........you pay the H tax lol

Barracuda
    Images
    The Halcyon has the best finish and all the slots are really smooth and has some really cool accessories that only fit the Halcyon. The Cinch System is great and the back storage compartment for SMB or lift bag is really useful and they only fit Halcyon plates.

I have never owned a Zeagle but almost bought one since it had the most wing adjustment holes. You can also mount the Zeagle weight pockets to the extra holes in the back plate. The finish seems good but it not smooth but a dimpled finish.

The Diverite plate has the worst finish to the point that I had to take sandpaper to the slots because they were eating webbing. Other than that they are nice plate.

I have a Hollis plate and for the money I think it has be best of both worlds, it does have great finish, smooth slots. Hollis does make a back pad that has SMB storage that fits their plates.

The plate I didn't like was the DSS plate that had the webbing retainers, I think it just makes it hard to do quick adjustments on the webbing. The finish was ok and he does have different size plates.

If I had the extra money I would purchase the Halcyon plate because I love the Cinch system that can be easily adjusted between a dive skin to drysuit in seconds. If I want to save a few bucks I would go the Hollis and order the back pad with SMB storage.
    - Dennis ><()))">

One other difference for stainless steel plates is the type of stainless steel. The Diverite plates are made from 304 stainless steel where the Halcyon and Hollis plates are made from 316 stainless steel. The 304 stainless are less stainless than the 316. Or in other words, the 316 stainless steel is a little better.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    As others have said while a plate is a plate it's not always the case. Finish is one of the biggest things your see. Some plates have a different bend to them. While this is alway very slight. More or less holes along the sides. Although I've never found a need for most of those holes. Some manufactures make plates in different sizes also which can be beneficial to some.

I like the DSS inserts on their plates myself and have never really had a need to adjust between different exposure suits.

Grouper
    Images
    Don't buy into and of the BS. The biggest determining factor in the price difference is greed.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawalker View Post
    Don't buy into and of the BS. The biggest determining factor in the price difference is greed.
    A friend of mine purchased a SS plate for 65.00 new knowing that he would have to clean up the slots or it would destroy webbing but what he didn't know that in salt water it would flash rust. He walked around with rust color residue on the back of his wetsuit from the plate. Another plate manufacture had a plate that had a really shallow channel up the middle to the point the wing nut on the bottom hole would contact the exposure protect and cause suit damage. I'm looking at new truck, I could by the with WT(work truck)trim or I could added few thousand and have the top of the line LTZ trim, I think I will buy the LTZ trim package.

If you like the idea of Halcyon Cinch system then you need to bite the bullet and pay the price for the Halcyon plate, if not the difference in the finish probably isn't worth money. I believe the Hollis plate has the turn up bottom corners, excellent finish including the slots, and I had mine the ocean a lot and it doesn't flash rust and pit. I think it's the one of the best plates for the money. I guess it comes down to budget and what your needs are.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 08-29-2012 at 10:33.
    - Dennis ><()))">

TadPole
    I wouldn't worry about holes being in the right place. A drill can take care of that easily!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpaso View Post
    I can see a difference in price in certain pieces of gear, like regulators or wings, based on technology, but I don't see where back plates, basically a piece of metal, have such a wide range of prices. The Dive Rite SS plate is $89, the Zeagle is $164 and a halcyon is $215. What, if anything, makes one worth (or cost) that much more than another?
    all the reasons listen above are valid - but currently in today's market its
    a) type of ss - 304, 316 etc -> i am actually ok with it 304 if it is much cheaper. I had used both before, and dont really notice any difference.

b) finish - yes , its important. The major brands these days all have a rather decent finish. (contrary to popular belief , H plates in the past had terrible finishings. I have a ss plate from them back in 2000 ...lets stay i sold it quickly)

currently now - its mainly about paying premium (vs what you have said, its a piece of metal)

Thread Information