Thread: Doubles wing for single tank

TadPole

Doubles wing for single tank

I am interested in buying this wing: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HOG58LbAirCell

A met a guy at the local rock quarry who has this wing and wants to sell it to me for cheap. He says he dives it with singles and doubles. The description says doubles, so that got me wondering, can one dive it with a STA and 1 tank? And if so, would it be awkward or problematic?

Thanks.

Jerrod

Barracuda
    Images
    This wing is made for doubles only and will taco around the tank and make really hard to dump gas from it. You will look like you have set wings on like tinker bell.
    - Dennis ><()))">

A wing for doubles should be used for doubles. Think of it this way, I wear size 10 shoes. My wife wears size 6 shoes. Would it be a good idea for us to buy one set of size 10 shoes and she can just wear them loose? I'd save a lot of money if my wife didn't need to buy shoes.

Using a double wing with a single tank is going to be similar scenario.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    That's a big doubles wing made for diving larger steel tanks. On a single tank of any sizes it's overkill and like someone else said will toco around your tank. This can pin/trap air in part of the wing making it hard to dump. FWIW I dive a 49lbs wing with steel HP119's.

TadPole
    Ok thanks guys. I figured he was BS'in me because of similar things I have read.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Some people do dive with doubles wings on single tanks, but it's not a good idea.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Grouper
    Images
    Some wings are designed to be dual purpose and those usually have some kind of bladder control such as bungees. I have such a OMS wing a 45# lift wing. I've dove it numerous times and it does well and yet I own a dedicated singles wing Oxycheq 30# that is noticably easier to control with only 2 dump points to the OMS wings 3 dump points. Each wing is a fine product but their are differences and a doubles wing that is not designed to accomidated a single tank is very sloppy and that much harder to control. Can it be used for singles? Sure but you may not enjoy it and you should know what you are getting into.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Thread Information