Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egypt 2013

Barracuda
    Images

Cool Egypt 2013

We've started looking at going back to Egypt for another land/dive trip. This will be just 3 or 4 of us going and 2 us diveing either before or after. We,ve dove Dahab & Sharm El Shiek. I'm thinking maybe Hurgada. March is a ways off.

Grouper
    Images
    I would love to go back. I dove Hurgada in the 90's a couple times. To be honest though I am still concerned about safety. Egypt has so much to offer a tourist/diver. One of the nicest hotels I have ever been in was Sheraton at Soma bay (spelling) amazing place. We would take a rental bus with a group and go to Lu xor in a convoy and spend the day seeing the Valley of the Kings, Karanak and all the other sights.

Of all the places I have traveled nothing has ever impressed me as much as Egypt! So have a great time and can't wait for the trip report!

Barracuda
    Images
    This will be my 6th time to go to egypt. We have a friend in Luxor and he advises it quiet down s0uth. We may have to miss some of Cairo that we've seen enough of. We're looking at some of the smaller less traveled spots in Luxor and Aswan. Hurgada looks to be good diving but we arn't real ly sold on as live aboard. Sharm was okay but we think Dahab is our style, pretty laid back. Will make a report if we get to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    We've started looking at going back to Egypt for another land/dive trip. This will be just 3 or 4 of us going and 2 us diveing either before or after. We,ve dove Dahab & Sharm El Shiek. I'm thinking maybe Hurgada. March is a ways off.
    Hi there mcr0112, I live and work in Hurghada and can highly recommend the diving here. Thoughout all the political unrest in the country Hurghada has not seen any of the violence or demonstrations that have happened in Cairo or Alexandria. All the tourist areas are safe and I do not have an issue with wandering around Hurgh at night. In March, Hurghada will be very quiet so if you're thinking about daily dives the dive sites should be pretty quiet. There are over 40 dive sites available to the daily boats so you will be spoilt for choice. The captains don't visit the same sites in the same week so repetitive dives on the same reef or wreck should not be an issue. We've had some great sightings of Hammerheads and Tigers this summer, along with a couple of Whale Sharks. I can't promise you will see anything like this in March but Dolphins and Turtles are always around and plentiful. We also have Frog Fish on a couple of the reefs, they're not so common here so we are lucky :-) Accommodation in the hotels goes from very basic to top notch so if this is what you're looking for, shop around as there are some great offers out there at the moment. You can also take an apartment at a VERY reasonable price if you prefer to go self-catering. You can expect to pay about 1700LE for a month. They usually charge for the whole month even if you stay only 2 weeks. Electricity and water are extra but it's next to nothing!!! The apartments have TV, Air-Con, kitchen equipment, bedding and a doorman who will take care of you very well. Let me know if I can help in any way, should you decide to visit sunny Hurghada. I don't think you will be disappointed with the diving.

Grouper
    Images
    On one hand I think I travel to Coz and fly over all the insanity along the border to the US. In reality more Amercans die along the US/Mexico border than anywere esle (tourists). Egypt is amazing and I would give anyting to go back. Maybe things will settle over the next few months but after the last few days events you have to wonder.

Barracuda
    Images
    A news reporter said something that I believe ( odd but true) that a protest was going on but only 4 blocks away things were normal. I lived in Libya in the 60's and they would be demonstrating downtown but nowhere elese. We've thought we might avoid Tahir Square and downtown Cairo( the Egyptian Museum is on Tahir Square) and visit elsewhere before going diving. Our dive operator ( Dive Urge) says it's been quiet in Dahab. Our guide in Luxor says it's quiet there and Aswan and very few tourists.

Guppy
    I was thinking of taking the family to next year, but a friend from Egypt said it was unsafe... I think it all depends on where you're going! I also have very young ones and didn't want to risk it. I'm sure things will be fine... well awesome really
    Are you for SCUBA?

Barracuda
    Images
    Blue1, how young are yours. There is not much for preteens or even most teenagers unless they are really interested in history. Every kid I've seen at the ancient sites are misarable. Now at the red sea they are having a ball at the beach.
    I'm speaking from being drug to every museum in europe during the 60's by my mother. I am glad now that she did but at times was bored stiff.

TadPole
    i just got back from Red sea in dec. In general, the unrest is contained within the main areas of Cario. The rest of egypt is heavily dependent on the tourist dollar so its relative safe.

For areas off hurghada, you can travel down south (think was valley of the kings ? ). If not a cruise down the nile southwards will cover the various areas (think return of the mummy part 2).

Diving wise, off hurghada - its definitely the brothers, dadelus, elphinstone (the big three) where the big fishes are (wildlife focus not much coral). If not , u can head down deeper south such as rockys and zabagard (mixture of more coral, wildlife etc)

Barracuda
    Images
    Thanks for the report mickey. I have actually took 14 people on a tour to Egypt. My brother & I have a very good guide we use for the land part. We keep thinking about but my health has caused some delays. Did you stay in ahotel or do a liveaboard, we're not sure about a boat. My brother & I are 2 dives aday then time to relax. Dahab is very much our speed plus the reefs are awsome with lots of creatures to find. Very easy diving from shore.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information