Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey there; Newly OW/AOW certified in Plano, TX looking for contacts/dive buddies

TadPole

Talking Hey there; Newly OW/AOW certified in Plano, TX looking for contacts/dive buddies

Hello diving enthusiasts. Just finished my OW and AOW certification and looking to gain lots of experience before next years vacation.

So far I have only done my cert dives at CSSP but now am ready to expand my horizons.

I guess all of us are a little gear crazy and we all want to know what gear everyone has. So; Tusa Xpertzoom split fins, Tusa Pro Crystalview-AR/UV mask, ScubaPro Verge snorkel, Bare booties, Hollis 4mm gloves, Shockwave Princeton Tec LED light, Impact XL LED light, Princeton Tec Eco flare tank light and a dive slate, mesh Scubatoys gear bag and extra snorkel keepers.

My plan is to dive all the areas around here I can get to easily then take a trip to Key Largo and later go on down to the Carribean.

Obviously I will be expanding my gear bag and adding other items as I go along. On that note I am wondering what other more experienced divers think about what items I should get first and which items I should obtain later?

Is a wetsuit good 1st choice, or should I think about a dive computer? A BCD (I think that I like the BP/W better than a restrictive jacket type), or a regulator 1st?

Everyone has their opinions I know but I am a research type guy who wants all the facts before putting down my cash. Also, I am the type to "buy up" rather than buy lower quality and trade up later.

All that said, I am also looking for others to dive with. Are there any active local dive. Luba I might could get involved with?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, opinions and comments. I don't have a witty tag line to close with yet so I'll just say goodbye for now.
    Last edited by Divedaddy; 09-06-2012 at 22:45. Reason: Font didn't show color
    DiveDaddy

Megalodon
    Images
    Welcome to the addiction! And the forum. There are a lot of great folks here and one old curmudgeon. What to buy first is a great debate. Personally, I would go for the Regulator as a first piece of gear. It's the number one piece of survival gear so knowing what yours works well is a bonus. There are also folks that will say get your BCD first as well. The wetsuit can wait a while as you get a good idea what you want by trying out several.

IMHO, a computer can wait until you've got a good number of dives under your belt. Get to where you're used to planning your dives and have a good habit of recording them and working the tables then moving to a computer is easy and you don't develope bad habits like just diving the computer without making plans. But that's the ranting of an old curmudgeon....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Since your like me and live in Plano you have the luxury of having Scuba Toys as your LDS. I would watch their packages like a hawk. In my experience the discount on the entire BC, Computer and Regulator package was much more than if I had bought the BC and Regulator on sale separately. If there is a package you like but don't like an individual piece just talk to them. They go out of their way and have lot of freedom to make you happy. They subbed another piece for me when I bought my gear and wanted a little nicer computer. I have not tried a plate yet but after trying the Zeagle Brigade with a back lift wing I can't imagine using a jacket type again.

You should try and make the Adventure Dive Club meeting in Plano at Allen Wickers on the 17th.

Grouper Founding Member
    Wetsuit. I want to be the only one who pees in mine. ST had a great deal on their hyperstretch 3mil ----comfy. Then I would be like navy said a reg since it goes in my mouth too. Remember that that $300 clearance or used reg from ST is gonna work just like the $700 reg for the dive you will be doing now. Rent the BC til u decide to buy. If u wan to buy it all at once the guys at the shop will cut u a great deal. Injoy your new expensive habit. LOL
    As long as you can breathe, you're still alive

TadPole
    Hey Friends, thanks for the conversation and comments.

BTW Navy, me too. USN, GM 1st Class, '69-'71 (yes I'm an old fart).

The advice makes sense to me. It seems the mist personal piece of gear is the regulator and secondly, I don't want to wear anyone else's pee suit either. Question; 3mm, 5mm, shorty, full or farmer John?

I am going to CSSP again this weekend but want to expand my experience with a trip somewhere else the next weekend I am not on call. Any suggestions for a brief Sat/Sun trip within driving distance?

Also, I would be very interested in attending the club event. What time is it scheduled for?

Thanks all,
    DiveDaddy

Meeting starts at 7. Social time from 6:30 to 7.

Adventure Diver's Club : Plano, Texas

There is Athens Scuba Park. I hated the my one trip there but others seem to enjoy it.

Hi Dive! I'm going to be out of town the rest of September but after that I'll be in the Allen area and would definitely be up for some diving.

I attended last month's meeting of the Adventure Diver's Club... seemed like a good bunch of people and I recommend a visit. I'll probably be at the October meeting.

TadPole
    I plan to attend the Adventure Club meeting unless all Hell breaks loose at work that day (I am in the medical field and we never know...).

I have heard that Athens is so-so, but it's local so I am sure I will be there sooner or later. Does anyone dive the other DFW lakes or are they not suitable due to high boat traffic or some other reason?

Appreciate all the participation here. I'll probably move my equipment questions to the proper forum board for specific subjects now, but am still engaged here for the purpose if socialization and finding dive buddies. As I stated in my 1st post, my first out of area trip is probably going to be to Key Largo as I would like to get more experience with shallower water diving before going on to the drift type Cozumel style diving. So I'll probably be posting in the travel forum also to get advice and reviews of the Key Largo situation.

Take care,
    DiveDaddy

Grouper Founding Member
    Check out--- I think it's call DIVER TRAINING.com it's a magazine (ST carries the magazine, useally on the counter for free.) that has all the states with an interactive map that shows all diving spots. Texas does have a few . As for COZ drift diving you will get spoiled to it , very easy diving. And it's not a bad way to get that FIRST blue water dive in. Plus it may be cheaper then KEYS. You can do coz AI and flight for 900-$1000 p/p for 5 days and about 10 dives Just look for flight deals.

P.S. Once you dive blue water it's hard to go back to the lakes. Just somthing missing---Oh yea 100 FT visibilty LOL

That Pic of nurse shark is from Coz
    As long as you can breathe, you're still alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information