Thread: Old Poseidon Reg

Barracuda
    Images

Old Poseidon Reg

On the weekend my Mother-In Law gave me her old Poseidon reg (better than having it just sit in the garage gathering dust). It is at least 35 years old and probably closer to 40 but feels like it came off the assembly line last week. I finally had a chance to get a good look at it - at least externally it is identical to a brand new Cyklon 5000 sold by ST, so I hope parts are still available.
    Just to give you an idea of how things have changed, she dove it as is - 1st and 2nd stage only: no SPG, no Octo, no BCD LP inflator. The 1st stage is a serious chunk of metal with a very bullet-proof feel. Interesting to note that the LP and HP ports are the same diameter, which could be confusing if someone is servicing their own gear (she also had a package of service O-rings with replacement instructions. Thanks, but I will have a pro do that part!). I am looking forward to having it serviced, adding the "missing" components and then diving it. According to the Poseidon web-site the Cyklon is the standard reg of the German Navy.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Megalodon
    Images
    Believe it or not, you can still get parts to service that beast. Though you would need adapters for the modern LP hoses as I recall. I know a number of folks that dive poseidons, me included - though I use Jetstreams. I'll try to find my old Poseidon service manual, I think I have a copy on disc and if you want, I'll send you a copy.

Totally cool find!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    Thanks, but I intend to throw my new/old reg (and my credit card) into the hands of the Scuba Toys techs. The extra LP inflator hose I have screwed right into the LP port, although it may be a touch long for the outside O-ring to seat properly. I will probably need an adapter for the HP port. Reading the Poseidon web-site leads me to believe that I have to be choosy about Octos as the IP is different than "normal". I'm going to take it slow getting this back into shape, ask lots of questions, and do right by a venerable old piece of kit.

The 1st stage is DIN but she had the yoke adapter already in place. It also comes with an in-line moisture cartridge to combat dry-mouth.

She also offered me an old "horse-collar" BCD but the internal bladder disintegrated at the first touch. I'll pass on getting THAT retro about my diving.

Megalodon
    Images
    Wise man. I have the manual just for my own SA, I've talked at length with John Mueller of Oronogo and realize thath ther are some unique steps that have to be taken and learned from the masters before trying to totally rebuild one. A few things I can do such as adjust the break on the second stage, but that's about it.

I miss the old horse collars.

Guppy
    If the DIN connector is in-line with the 1st stage body, then you have a Cyklon 300 . . . if it comes out the side, then it's a Cyklon 5000. Plastic or brass second stages? Poseidon badge on the front or not? At any rate, the -300 was sold into the mid to late 80's if I recall correctly, and the 5000 has been for sale ever since. The first stages have not changed at all - why fix that which is pretty much without flaw. The first stage in the 300 was unbalanced, and the 5000 is balanced, but for most sport diving you won't know the difference.

And yes, the Cyklon 300 IP did tend to run hot - up to 180psi (at an almost empty tank) so you would, at the least, need to have a non-Poseidon octo tuned to run with it, or just get a Poseidon second for an octo, and don't screw around with the crap sold in most brands as octos. The used market for -300's is pretty decent, and quite cost effective if you should so choose.

And these *ARE* a standard for many navies! Just because they are older does not mean that they are not top notch performers! Poseidon got it right the first time . . .

Oh, and Tom at ST (the regulator tech) owns Poseidon himself, and is very good with these, and stocks most parts as well . . .

- Tim

Barracuda
    Images
    Update: I just got the reg back from ST. I called Tom first to talk about my needs and he assured me that parts were available and unless a truck ran over it, there should be no problems. I found a reconditioned 2nd stage on eBay which Tom incorporated, plus I had a new SPG added. I had a LP inflator which they were able to use. For a 40 year old reg it looks brand new. I am not even going to think about what this "free" reg she gave me cost to get back in service - a labour of love!

I can't wait to use it on my upcoming trip to Bonaire.

Megalodon
    Images
    Outstanding John. Now, go have fun!

Images
    Outstanding!
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Another update: I missed the Bonaire trip (flights canceled!) but took it to Barbados. I dove it 2 days and found it to be an excellent reg. Dry and easy to breathe. I did notice the difference between my normal Myflex hoses and these, plus I will need to get a comfort mouthpiece before I dive with it regularly. All in all I am happy to have it back in service.

Guppy
    The mouthpiece is an odd size on the Cyklon's, but they are incredible regs. One thing that took me a little bit to get used to was the purge on them - it's almost scary. That beast will move some SERIOUS air!

Thread Information