Thread: Diving after a cerebral aneurysm

Grouper
    Images

Diving after a cerebral aneurysm

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I have contributed to this forum. I have a unique question that I hope someone here might be able to help me with. Last February, I had a cerebral aneurysm burst and underwent surgery to repair it. I had what is referred to as a coiling procedure to close the aneurysm. I just had a check up and everything looks good and I have been told I have no restrictions with one possible exception. That exception is diving. My doctor didn't say I couldn't dive but instead said that there is no data that is available for him to make a judgement. So based on the lack of data, he recommended that I stop diving.

Are there any divers on this forum who have had an aneurysm? What did your doctors tell you? Are you currently diving? I'd really like to see what others have done so I can make an informed decision.

Funeral Jorunna
    Have you contacted DAN? If anyone would have any info on this my guess would be DAN.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Megalodon
    Images
    Unfortuantely, I can't give you a good answer, but the following articles can give you some insight.

I would also contact DAN and see if they can give you any good points of contact as far as neuro docs who are also dive medicine folks.

Brain Aneurysm: Deep Sea Diving - When?
    Cerebral Aneurysm - how long to dive again? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network
    Fitness for Diving
    Diving after brain surgery
    Brain Aneurysm: Successful Surgery - Angiography Accident
    e-med Private Medical Services - Scuba Diving Medical Advice - Central Nervous System | Brain

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Thank you for your responses. I have contacted DAN and the doctor there was the one who told me there was not enough data available. I think they are being very conservative which I certainly understand. I would like to personally access the risk and make an informed decision about diving. The aneurysm repair was successful and has healed fine over the past 7 months. I am also a runner and have had no problems running up to 6 miles a day. I have never had a seizure and have been told that the likelihood of having one is no greater than "an average person". I have seen several postings by "shakeybrainsurgeon" and hope he is still active on this board. I'd really like to hear the opinions of other doctors and learn from their experiences.

Megalodon
    Images
    I wish I could give you more solid data. The good news is that you're not alone in your quest following surgery/repair. There were a few other blogs that had folks diving with situations similar to yours and appear to have done fine. My best advice would be to take it easy, take it slow and go shallow for a good number of dives and see how things go.

My concerns as your buddy if we were diving together would be numerous but no where near insurmountable: nitrogen loading in the neuro tissues or more importantly off gassing of the neuro tissues. Narcosis effects-what effects at what depths? could the Ox Tox effect be appreciable? What effects will deeper dives have.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks again for your help. I agree with you. If I return to diving, I'll stay shallow for a while to see how it goes. I was thinking no deeper than 10 meters at first. Also I'd do a very slow decent and ascent. Not sure what impact sudden changes in pressure would have. I still haven't decided what to do but have plenty of time so will do my homework.

TadPole
    Hi, I would like to recommend you to read this informative article about anerysm:

Thread Information