Thread: Front Heavy with new bp/w

TadPole

Front Heavy with new bp/w

I have light Cressi fins that tend to float and cause my feet and rear end to float up when using my new Eclipse bp/w.

I tried putting a trim weight on the cam band at the bottom band and that helped a bit. I also moved the tank down but I am still front heavy and now I can't reach the valve.

I can't afford heavier fins right now. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Thanks.

Grouper
    Images
    I would try trimming out without fins on. Then you will know if it is your fins that is really causing the problem. Never seen floaty fins cause a BP/W to be nose heavy once properly trimmed. Not saying it couldn't happen. There are combinations of tank and wing placements to try before finding the sweet spot. Also try and use the type and size of tank you mostly dive while adjusting. Personally, I prefer my fins/boot combination to be on the neutral =< floaty side. It makes frog kicking easier.

Hope it helps...
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

Grouper
    Do you dive with a weight belt ?
    I put a 2# weight in the bottom cam band on my tank and the balance goes on my belt.
    Do you have any 1# weights to slip into your boots to see if it is really a floaty fin problem ?
    To me trim is one of the biggest issue caused by the littlest of things. It is one of those things that can
    be fine tuned with the movement of 1 or 2 lbs up or down.

Jim breslin

Grouper
    Images
    I'm going to make a guess that you are using an AL tank. It will become valve/ head heavy with less air. Use of jbres1 idea of weight placement will probably work. Have seen people clip 2 ankle weights together around a AL tank.. I have to remind myself not everyone scuba dives in shorts and a T-shirt. Neoprene always presents a challenge.
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

Barracuda
    Images
    I have set of Hollis F1 that I use for back mounting either steel or AL tanks and set of Mares Quarto for sidemount diving. The Hollis provides just enough extra weight low to trim me out. I know of a couple other divers that uses bag weights in their boots to accomplish the same affect. Either way the lower you can added weight the less weight you have to added. This is of coarse the last resort moving the wing and the tank lower is the preferred method. XSScuba makes a what they call tail weight that attaches to the bottom of the back plate, I have never tired using one but could be a option. I think ankle weights are not a good solution but that's just me.
    - Dennis ><()))">

TadPole
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.

What I found is when I release air, by sticking my butt up and dumping, that the air must stay there and not distribute when I go back horizontal. Now after dumping air, I go slightly head up then back to horizontal and that makes it 95% better. I also added a 1/2 pound in an xs scuba tail weight CWSWine suggested on my crotch strap and now I feel perfectly trim and am 100% happy over two dives this weekend.

I would suggest this setup to anyone that just needs a tiny bit of trim.

I love the steel tank, but with that type of tank, I can't use weights and have basically no ditchable weights. I need to think about that. Maybe i'll start a new thread for suggestions. I would hate to go to an AL backplate after just buying a SS.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Jerrod

Barracuda
    Images
    I think you ought still get heavier fins but what you have will work for now. I found that at the beginning of the dive when I'm the heaviest I would dive down to 30 or 40 feet and empty my wing I could swim the kit to the surface but staying on the surface for any amount time would be a problem. I also found that using a DAN SMB would give me enough lift to easily get to the surface and full inflated at the surface I could put under my arms and stay on the surface without treading water for a extended period of time. When diving wet I carry a SMB and lift bag in the pocket in the Halcyon back plate pad. Also, if I dive steel tanks I use a 5 mil suit. I think it was Navy (Bob) that stated that diving wet with two steel 119 he could shoot a lift bag and reel himself to the surface. AL plate could be a option if you are grossly over weighted but I won't buy one just so I would had ditchable weight.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 10-09-2012 at 23:16.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    [QUOTE=Jerrod;480709]Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I love the steel tank, but with that type of tank, I can't use weights and have basically no ditchable weights. I need to think about that. Maybe i'll start a new thread for suggestions. I would hate to go to an AL backplate after just buying a SS.

Jerrod,
    You can never have just one Backplate. You need one steel for cold water diving and an aluminum for vacation diving. You also need extra plated just in case one of the plates doesn't match your fins .

Jim

Thread Information