Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting DM

It might be your instructor won't be as hard as mine was. In my area, if you cannot out swim a 2 knot current while rescuing someone, you probably shouldn't be a divemaster. There are some serious challenges in my area. As an AOW, you can just choose to not dive in those areas. As a DM, you have to be able to dive in those areas.

Even before going for my DM, I had to be in pretty good shape to dive the more interesting wrecks. If you'll never be exposed to this sort of environment, you may not be pushed that hard.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Interesting stuff. Sounds like if I wanted to do this, I better start gettin' in a little better shape.
    What's needed (IMO):
    400 swim- be in SWIMMING shape.
    800 mask/fins/snorkel: Legs in good shape.
    tired diver tow: overall. strength, especially legs.
    tread/float, last 2 mins. hands out: no fitness, just "drownproof" the whole time.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Barracuda Founding Member
    So we are finally progressing with the DM course: The class was postponed by Hurricane Sandy, a Nor'Easter snow storm, had to reschedule but tonight I succesfully took both parts of the written test, thank goodness.

Our pool sessions have been limited, so I need more in water practice.

I think my biggest issue is doing the skills too fast.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Barracuda
    Images
    a buddy of mine who is an instructor said that NAUII eliminated the swim requirement for DM starting 2013...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by cgvmer View Post

I think my biggest issue is doing the skills too fast.
    That is almost always an issue. Divers get used to doing the skills normally, when we demo, it must be slow enough and pronounce the critical aspects so a new diver will understand what needs to be done. I always have to remind my students that I will be doing a demo that is slow and deliberate and pointing out some steps, you just hafta do it. Takes a bit of thought to slow down and enunciate the skills. Practice in front of the mirror!
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Budd View Post
    a buddy of mine who is an instructor said that NAUI eliminated the swim requirement for DM starting 2013...
    I am not sure on that as I am not NUAI, however I believe it should stand. A DM is more likely to need that ability than a normal diver dood.
    Believe me..I hate those swims. But the first time you hafta actually use the rescue skills, you appreciate the pain.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Budd View Post
    a buddy of mine who is an instructor said that NAUII eliminated the swim requirement for DM starting 2013...
    A Divemaster is allowed to organize and lead CERTIFIED divers. These are divers who need to be capable of taking care of themselves if there was no Divemaster. Essentially, the DM is a guide and not there to keep the divers safe.

HOWEVER, a DM also allows an Instructor to increase the number of students. In that situation I can only see the increase in students because the DM will be able to affect a rescue if the instructor is busy with the other students. For this reason I find it difficult to believe that any agency would certify someone as a DM without the swimming skill.

I totally agree with Davetowz that a DM really needs the swimming skills. I know I appreciate the swimming skills on the rare occasion when I needed to use them.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda
    Images
    I didn't say I agree with it. I'm just pointing out that it is no longer a NAUII standard.

I swim 2 miles 2x per week. Trust me, I see the value.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Barracuda Founding Member
    In my case the "swim" tests aren't the issue, it is the over exaggerated, slow "demonstration" quality skills that is killing me.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Guppy
    Each instructor does things slightly different when it comes to the skills. Videos are available now online, which can be of help, but remember that you must do the skills to the satisfaction of your instructor. I've often said it would be nice if PADI had a chapter in the DM manual devoted to exactly how to demonstrate skills--a list--one by one--with pictures. The OW manual has this when showing how to DO the skills.

Question: Is it really true that NAUI will elliminate the swim test(s) for DM? This is hard to believe.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information