Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting DM

Barracuda Founding Member
    So our DM pool time has started up after a holiday break. I decided to jump in and do the 400yd swim (7.32min), the 800yd swim in gear(12.40min) and the tread water 15min with hands out of water for the last 2.

Next week getting in to just practice skills.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Nice. That is 4 points for the 400 yard, 5 points for the 800 yard and 5 points for the tread water. You only need 1 point for the 100 yard diver tow and you are good for the watermanship skills.
    This signature left intentionally blank

I don't think the tow will be a problem, I feel sorry for whoever in my class has to tow me.... I'm double the size of the other 2 class members.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

In water we are all positively buoyant. Size matters more when you have to drag the diver onto the shore and start first aid. I don't remember if we did that for DM.

One thing to note, 50 yards seems like a REALLY long distance when you are swimming to help some boy scouts who got into trouble by horsing around. So the swimming skills really do come in handy. I now know to get the kids out of the pool when we are done. No horsing around unless it is well supervised.

Hopefully you'll never need the swimming skills but it certainly doesn't hurt.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    :Hopefully you'll never need the swimming skills but it certainly doesn't hurt.
    I have used the swimming skills, last time while canoeing down the Delaware river, hit a patch of white water and the scout in my canoe panicked and tipped the canoe when he hit the water he panicked even more. I had to grab hold of him and sit him on a rock, till someone could pull him in there canoe, while I floated down river to our canoe.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Guppy
    While I agree with the last two posts, these examples really have nothing to do with scuba or divemastering. In the last post I'm not sure when the actual swimming took place. In the little DMing experience I've had, I have seen quite a few OW candidates struggle like hell to finish their 200 yards-- some with no decent swim stoke at all. But that's the rule--as long as you finish. I would rather see someone swim ONE lap with a proper stroke, just to tell me they actually know how to swim. Again, this is just my opinion-- that if you take up scuba you should know how to swim properly. Though it has no real application (IMHO) to scuba and DMing. Rule #2 or 3 of Rescue Course: Always have mask/fins/snorkel within reach. Finnless swimming comes in when?
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Tom the next time your in a canoe that flips in a set of white water rapids and you know that a 10yr old that you hold yourself responsible for (I am the Scoutmaster of the troop) is panicking 10 ft from you, then you will know where the swimming skills took place.

As for DM'ing skills, I think the ability to respond to a problem, especially someone else's panic, is a skill anyone with responsibility for other's be they DM or SM is difficult to practice but something we hope we have when the situation arises.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by cgvmer View Post
    Tom the next time your in a canoe that flips in a set of white water rapids and you know that a 10yr old that you hold yourself responsible for (I am the Scoutmaster of the troop) is panicking 10 ft from you, then you will know where the swimming skills took place.

As for DM'ing skills, I think the ability to respond to a problem, especially someone else's panic, is a skill anyone with responsibility for other's be they DM or SM is difficult to practice but something we hope we have when the situation arises.
    I can see that swimming 10 feet in whitewater is indeed a task, one that very fortunately you could do. And as I said, I think anyone taking scuba should know how to swim. In fact, I feel that anyone who does anything at all near water--fish from a pier, go boating, etc.--should be a good swimmer. Fortunately, I assume your good swim mechanics helped a lot in your rescue. I have yet, though, been told of a scenario relating to diving (or DMing, as per this thread), where actually swimming without fins would occur--Your boat sinks before you can access your fins? But this is an old arguement of sorts that could go on forever.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Nice. That is 4 points for the 400 yard, 5 points for the 800 yard and 5 points for the tread water. You only need 1 point for the 100 yard diver tow and you are good for the watermanship skills.
    Did my surface tow, but it took me 3 1/2 minutes...so 3 points which brings me above point total I need.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Barracuda
    Getting closer!!
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information