Thread: Hi I need your help with wetsuits

TadPole

Hi I need your help with wetsuits

Hi
    I am studying Sport Product Design at University of Brighton in the Uk, for my final year I am doing a project on wetsuits and I am just hoping that you would give me an insight into some of the problems that you have with wetsuits.
    I would especially like to hear from the divers who spend a lot of time in their suits, ie all day, or divers who take their wetsuits on and off several times a day!
    I would greatly appreciate your input.
    Alice

Guppy
    from what i can tell you

Sizes: there are many people that cannot drive to a lds for certain reasons and sometimes the manufacturing website dimensions to choose the wetsuit are wrong..

Wrist computer, i think that wetsuits should have less neoprene on the wrist or where you put your computer(make a slot for wrist computer), or a way to make sure it does not slipt and you will have to be adjusting it all the time.

Advertising: they just show on the ads or website slim people on the wetsuits, what about to see how the wetsuit fits someone a little overweighted...

thats what i think right now

Grouper
    Images
    Advertising: they just show on the ads or website slim people on the wetsuits,
    what about to see how the wetsuit fits someone a little overweighted...
    if you could see how you look in a wetsuit you will never put one on. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alicemarno View Post
    Hi
    I am studying Sport Product Design at University of Brighton in the Uk, for my final year I am doing a project on wetsuits and I am just hoping that you would give me an insight into some of the problems that you have with wetsuits.
    I would especially like to hear from the divers who spend a lot of time in their suits, ie all day, or divers who take their wetsuits on and off several times a day!
    I would greatly appreciate your input.
    Alice
    Hi Alice,

Are you going to use the information you gather here to build a survey? Usually you want to use a forum like this to gather a list of questions you want to ask, put together a survey and get as many members as you can to respond to the survey. Sites like Survey Monkey are okay but you'll be limited on the number of questions you can ask.

Some things I wish I knew or heard from others, as they wish they knew it. The purpose of a wetsuit is to keep you warm. As you descend the air pockets in the neoprene compress making the wetsuit thinner. Some neoprene compresses more than others. The more stretch a wetsuit has the larger the air pockets seem to be. So very stretch is more forgiving if your shape is 'round' rather than 'fit'. However, it compresses a lot with depth. So as a deep diver I don't want a lot of stretch BUT I'm not your typical build and need some stretch to find a suit which fits well.

Every body is different. What prevents/reduces water flow for my body shape doesn't necessarily work for someone with a different body type. In other words, I found one style does not fit all and just because hundreds of people recommend a wetsuit does not mean it will fit me.

Additionally, everyone's tolerance to cold is not the same. I know people who would never dive in Canada with a wetsuit. I'll dive Ontario until November in a wetsuit. I met a guy who will dive year round in the North Sea with a wetsuit (even his best friend thinks he is nuts). I always found it hard to know if a wetsuit was going to be sufficient for me in the area I dive in.

This just some of the stuff which comes to mind. If you have any pointed questions feel free to throw them out.

By the way, are you a diver? Or did you pick this topic because it seemed like a good idea at the time?
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    For me the important thing about a wetsuit is 1, it does what it is suppose to do and keeps you warm; and 2, I don't want to feel like the marshmallow-man. I don't want bulk to the point I don't feel I can move.

For my wife the important thing is that it is easy to get on and off. She's been known to scrap a dive simply because she didn't want to hassle with getting in and out of the wetsuit. She also doesn't want to be cold and also doesn't want a large bulky wetsuit. She also wants something that looks good. Not trying to be sexist here, but she cares about how the suit looks on her. For guys, I don't think that is much of an issue.

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    I'd like to know why the standard colour of wetsuits is black. Everyone looks the same so it is harder to keep track of your buddy. Plus, black is very hard to see in the dark water so it is harder for other to see you and either avoid you (boaters) or find you (buddy, rescuers).
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Wetsuits are black for cost. If I want to make a blend of neoprene, latex and butadyl (because it has more 'sellable' properties) it is more cost effective for me to make the suits black. The more colour I want to put on the suit will increase the material costs. I also will have a harder time colour matching batch to batch. I believe my competitors are all making black wetsuits. So this is the market I want to compete in. Once I start colouring the wetsuit, which colours do I select? Do I pick randomly? Do I spend money on market research?

Informal research shows there are some divers who just believe anything other than black makes you look like a Power Ranger. If the market lets the manufacturers know, without spending money on research, that they all want red wetsuits then you might start to see red wetsuits. However, if they get a mixed signal, how many red wetsuits do they make? How many black wetsuits do they make?

Clothing manufacturers factor in the fact they will make too many office suits of a particular style or look. They also have a bigger market. If I make 100,000 navy suits I'm probably safe and will sell all 100,000 suits this season. If I make 100,000 red wetsuits I might not be able to sell them all. If I increase the cost of each wetsuit to account for the unsold wetsuits, my wetsuit starts to cost too much and I sell even less.

Bottom line, it is hard enough to figure out how many of each size wetsuit I want to manufacturer. Add more factors, like colour, and it just makes things harder.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Thread Information