Thread: Video Diving the Zebulon Pike

Grouper

Video Diving the Zebulon Pike

I got our IT guy at work to shorten the video of our dive on the Zeb/General/Branson Belle or whatever it is. This is the video I got those pictures from.
    Hope I can get a little better video next time but this one is pretty cool.

BD

Zebulon Pike - YouTube
    Say When....

I will admit that you and Snagel have got a really good mystery going with this ship. I searched the Coast Guard Registration Database. I found the Showboat Branson Belle (built 1995), and the Zebulon Pike (built 1952). I find no registrations for the Branson Belle or the General. It seems to be a mystery ship....

Megalodon
    Images
    Am I hearing a few crawdads duking it out in the audio? Nice video.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Not sure what that is in the audio, but I didn't see any crawdads anywhere near the wreck?
    Say When....

Images
    Nice vid, BD. I need to get back down sometime and take another gander around.

BF, interesting...I'm staring to think this thing may have never been registered as a "vessel".

Snagel

Images
    Here's some information that is already posted somewhere on this forum. It's been passed around and I'm not exactly sure who the original author is:

"I can tell you a bit about her as to the last 30 years or so. I understand that she went out of service with the death of here builder/owner in the mid '60s; In about 1972 she was purchased by a Twin Cites excursion boat operator who added rails to the upper deck so that passengers could go up there via a spiral stairway located just behind the pilothouse. The Twin cities operator sold her in about 1975, and she ran, i beleive, one season on the Missouri River and one season on Kentucky Lake, then went to Little Rock Ar. on the Arkansas River, and was hauled overland to Table Rock Lake in Southwest Missouri. She ran on Table Rock for into the mid '80s under the name of Zebulon Pike (which the Twin cites operator gave here) A gentleman, whos name I will not post, bought her in about '80 or '81, when the prime interest rate was around 18%, and could not make a go of it. By 1989 she was abandoned in a cove on Indian Point (close to Silver Dollar City) The Army Corp of Engineers took her over, along with a barge that had been used as her dock (the barge was originally a ferry flat on the Mississippi River, and later used as an Excursion boat on Table Rock Lake until being retired to the position of dock barge. The barge was named "General Pike.") Anyway, the Corp took over both the Zebulon and the General. The General was intentionaly sunk as a dive site while the Zebulon was apparently transfered to private ownership. By the late '90s the Zebulon was still afloat and tied up, inactive, at Cricket Creek marina on TableRockLake. If you go to Dock Pictures and scroll-down to the third photo in the column, the blue-painted bow of the Zebulon Pike can be seen at the right margin on the photo. Some diver websites mistakenly refer to the sunken General Pike as the Zebulon Pike. Twin Cummins diesels (one having been replaced in 1981) with Twin disc manually- shifted gearboxes. There was a story that, while being operated in Chicago, a large wave washed several people off of a breakwater, and that the Hannah rescued them, earning a praising letter from the Coast Guard. I know nothing earlier than the above, other than what has already been posted on this board.

Any idea of the age of the "unknown ship"? In 1824 the General Pike was a stern wheeler traveling along the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Kentucky. So far it is the only General Pike that I have found any reference to.

Images
    Not sure about that, but here is a facebook page put up by I believe the son or grandson of the guy that built the Zebulon Pike aka Hannah Kildahl in Wisconsin. At one time he was actually thinking about buying it and taking it back to Wisconsin and rebuilding it. I believe moving across land was too much.

Thread Information