Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment Check Protocol During a Dive

Images
    I have to agree with Straegen. A small leak does not an emergency make. What if you have a pin hole leak in your BC. I think your comparison to outer space was a bit far fetched.
    Last edited by Zeagle Eagle; 10-31-2012 at 17:17.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I've noticed small leaks at the o-ring on my buddy and I just keep an eye on them. I would not try to tighten it up any during the dive...I've seen o-rings blow out completely on the surface trying to do this. If we were doing a deep dive I would probably signal to abort the dive, but not so much during a shallower dive.

Just my 2cents.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    I've had a few problems on a few of my dives with rgards to small annoyances:

A small trail of bubbles that started off my first stage in shallower waters - nothing deeper. We finished the dive and then I switched to a back up reg and sent that one in to ST for service.

On a rental gear dive in Roatan, the BC power inflator had a slow leak, I discovered that I was continually getting a little light as I was swimming and noted that the inflator was putting extra air into the BC. No problem, intsead of thinbing the dive and maybe missing the second dive (I didn't know if there was a spare BC on the boat) I just disconnected the inflator hose for the dives and either manually inflated it or reconnected the hose if I need more air.

I tightened a LP hose on a buddies reg at 50' when it started to lead a little - apparently the hose wasn't fully tightened when he replaced a hose. Again, everything was signaled to my buddy before I started anything and had his approval to do so.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark Founding Member
    I have to agree that a tank bubbling from the first stage during a dive isn't an emergency situation, and likely the diver will lose no more than 100psi over a 60 minute dive. Been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt.

Keep in mind that there are some regs on the market that bubble a bit (Sherwood I think?), so what looks like a small tank leak is actually the first stage doing it's job.

I have to agree that I really appreciate the concern of the OP and intent to help, but I wouldn't want someone I don't know touching my gear without me knowing what the problem is and giving permission.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Keep in mind that there are some regs on the market that bubble a bit (Sherwood I think?), so what looks like a small tank leak is actually the first stage doing it's job..
    This is correct for the Sherwood Blizzard and some other cold water regs. The Blizzard trickles a stream of very small bubbles from the first stage which is what it is designed to do.

Barracuda
    Images
    As it seems to be quite common to have a small leak I have started checking for leaks before getting into my gear. Iuse a baby shampoo mixture for my mask and it is a great leak checker. When checking the pressure in the tank just squirt on the yoke, any leaks will bubble up like mad. If one develops while I'm down let me know of my problem & then we'll procede to fix it. Never be afraid to point out a possible accident waiting to happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information