Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Check Protocol During a Dive

TadPole

Equipment Check Protocol During a Dive

I'm a relatively new diver. Shortly after the start of a dive recently, with someone I had not dived with before, I noticed he had a small air leak at the yoke - tank interface. I signaled my buddy to come closer and I attempted to tighten the yoke, but the small leak continued. I imagine it was the O ring. With my limited dive experience, I'm not sure if what I did was proper. Here's my question: is it appropriate to handle someone's gear during a dive, in an attempt to correct a problem, or, does one never touch another diver's gear during a dive? Thanks.

Grouper
    Images
    funny I had that exact same thing happen to me in Curacao. I heard a small hissing noise from my yoke and asked my buddy to see if he could tighten the knob some to fix this. we were floating a hundred yards out above the reef and he couldn't fix it so he joined another group while I went back to the shore to make repairs.

I don't think you touch unless asked if you see a problem make the diver aware and wait for an invite.

Grouper
    Hi,
    Being a good buddy is important to me. It was nice of you to care about your buddies gear, and you did the correct thing letting him/her know of the problem.
    The leak was most likely as you had stated , a bad o-ring. I would be very impressed with you if you were able to turn the yoke knob any tighter.
    you are working against the pressure in the tank, and 3,000 psi is alot of force.

Jim

Barracuda Founding Member
    Depends on the situation. For the most part I don't want anyone touching my gear. Let me know of the problem and then we will deal with it.

We will do bubble checks as part of our dive checklist. Once in the water as we descend down the line a quick stop and check your buddies gear. Look for air leaks. Then you can sort them out before descending to depth.

Images
    Don't touch my junk!
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    I agree with ZE, let me know you see something and i will make the call. Although as a new diver I suggest being conservative,never forget that any one can call any dive for any reason at any time without fear. We will screw with you later.. but that is better than talking to you as you lay in a box.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Megalodon
    Images
    Bingo, I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but what would have happened if when you tightened the reg the o-ring failed? To me, the best bet would have been to signal go up. At the surface, let them know the problem and go from there. I've continued dives with a small bubble trail and on other times, I decided that a new tank was the best bet.

With my current buddy, he has fixed minor problems outside my field of vision with out issue as I've done it for him. With an instabuddy, I might not be as trusting.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Small leak in a rec dive situation... I would have notified my buddy and kept diving. I would also keep a close eye in case of a full failure and requested pressure readings more frequently. I wouldn't call the dive unless my buddy wanted to or the leak was pronounced. A small leak is actually pretty common in my experience.

Grouper
    Images
    Good question... Do you know what the signal for leak is? Does your buddy? Thumb the dive.. Period. A leak is a leak. It is the first link in a possible accident chain. Some advice. Strive to learn more than the minimum standards taught in OW. Had you learned and done a leak check prior to leaving the surface it would have been caught and possibly fixed before the dive.

If in space wearing a space suit that had a small leak would you continue the space walk? Your just as dead underwater without air as in space.

Sorry Straegen you poured the fuel.. Rec diving or not.. The Complacency demonstrated by Straegen with his comment about continuing to dive can be the foundation for habits that WILL lead to injury or Death. Common small leaks witnessed, or in private equipment, are unacceptable. If they were not then even a novice like yourself would not have seen it as a hazard and try to do something about it. Don't let complacency and bad habits get you hurt or killed. One only need look at the deaths of some diving greats to drive this point home.

Diving is Dangerous!! Think like Cave Divers think. Your dead until you get back to the surface safely. With an emphesis on education and putting safety first, your odds of having many years of safe logged dives goes way up. Otherwise, your just lucky to be landing on an empty chamber.

With as much diving I do, and the mishaps that I have witnessed, read, and helped with, it keeps "THINKING" about being safe fresh.

If there were one other thing people should be "THINKING" about safety besides driving it's diving. Complacency with both get more people killed than it should.

Stay Safe
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiveHard View Post
    Sorry Straegen you poured the fuel.. Rec diving or not.. The Complacency demonstrated by Straegen with his comment about continuing to dive can be the foundation for habits that WILL lead to injury or Death. Common small leaks witnessed, or in private equipment, are unacceptable. If they were not then even a novice like yourself would not have seen it as a hazard and try to do something about it. Don't let complacency and bad habits get you hurt or killed. One only need look at the deaths of some diving greats to drive this point home.

Diving is Dangerous!! Think like Cave Divers think. Your dead until you get back to the surface safely. With an emphesis on education and putting safety first, your odds of having many years of safe logged dives goes way up. Otherwise, your just lucky to be landing on an empty chamber.
    Well we can agree to disagree here. Diving is a very safe sport and a small air leak is an extremely low risk event. Everyone has to choose their level of risk aversion and for me a small air leak while rec diving is less risky than driving 10 miles over the speed limit. I drive 10 miles over the speed limit somewhat frequently even though it does increase my risk of injury.

I am also not alone in thinking small air leaks are not necessarily a reason to abort: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving Magazine

As mentioned before if my buddy was not comfortable continuing, I would abort as I believe both buddies should be comfortable with the level of risk on a dive.
    Last edited by Straegen; 10-31-2012 at 16:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information