Thread: St Maarten Recommendations?

TadPole

St Maarten Recommendations?

I'll be stopping in St Maarten 1/8/13 on a Grand Priness cruise and was looking for recommendations for a nearby dive shop/2 tank dive. We get in 10am (ship's time) and leave at 7pm. Contacted Octopus Diving but wonder if the 1/2 trip to the location is worth it or perhaps find someone closer.

What say folks?

Megalodon
    Images
    If you're docking at Phillipsburg, there is a shop a 10 minute walk or water taxi ride from the cruise dock: Scuba Fun. I did a 2 tank package with them in '10 the boat was well kept and the dives were good. expect water temps of 78f-80f and vis of about 60'-100' there are some nice reefs and a few wrecks close in. We didn't get a wreck dive in as I was out voted on a reef-reef plan. No Nitrox and no DIN in '10

Scuba Diving with Scuba Fun Dive Center, Philipsburg St Maarten St Martin

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

We dove a week with Octopus and they deliver a real VIP experience with fast boats, but crossing the island on a schedule can be problematic. If they are willing to pick you up in the bay on one of their boats, that would work very well otherwise I would probably go with a dive op in or near the bay.

I will disagree with Navy though. The reefs and wrecks are below average compared to other hot spots. Saba is awesome but deep and not cruise friendly as it is a long trip out and back.

Megalodon
    Images
    How dare you disagree with me sir! That's it! Spearguns at 200 fin kicks.

Yeah, you are right, compared to Coz or Roatan they are kind of sub par but they weren't too bad. The one we did on the second dive which was south and east of the island was interesting in it's topography, a good number of swim throughs and the like, but the surge was a little heavy as we were in heavier seas due to the trade winds and on the windward side of the island.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Is that splits or paddles?
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole

Well I went but didn't dive in St Maarten

As the titles says.... I made a reservation with Blue Bubbles on St Maarten shortly after the above posts. I was supposed to be picked up at the dock at 12:30 for a 1pm 2 tank dive. !2:40 nothing..no-one, cell phone doesn't ring. I went to the desk at the info center who called the shop...says all excursions were cancelled. I made my reservation directly, not a cruise excursion, and so they then say come by ground or water taxi to the shop. I get there and there are several people sitting around and they say we're not going out today or for the past several days since the seas are too rough and visibility is terrible. OK I appreciate they are subject to weather/seas etc but make the effort, some effort to tell me. IMO there should have been someone at the dock to tell me.

St Thomas: Went with Admirality. Yes seas were rough and vis was about 15 feet. But I still had a good time. They 'should' tell patrons to bring their own bottled water; I'll know for next time.

Thread Information