Thread: [Maui] Ka'anapali or Kihei Dive Boats

TadPole

[Maui] Ka'anapali or Kihei Dive Boats

Fellow divers,

I'll be in Ka'anapali, Maui during the third week of December and I'm researching for good dive shops in the area. It seems there are more options if I'm willing to drive to Kihei in the morning (we have Ed Robinson's, B&B, Mike Severns, etc). And in Ka'anapali area, there are Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons only (maybe more?)

How does the drive from Ka'anapali to Kihei look like in the morning? Google Maps says it's about 45 mins. Is it easy drive? I don't mind driving to Kihei as long as I don't have to wake up super early and the drive is easy. That way I can try a couple boats in Kihei, and a couple boats from Ka'anapali area.

Thanks. And let me know if you have other suggestions. This is my first time diving in Maui.

Guppy
    Just got home from Maui. I've always gone out of Kihei, with Mike Severns in the past, and with Scuba Shack this time. All of the boats leave Kihei early (i.e. 6 am departure) to avoid the afternoon tradewinds. From Kihei, the primary dive attraction is Molokini crater, and the winds, and waves, do kick up by 11 or 12 in the morning. If you go that route, I would recomment either of the operators I mentioned, though they are very different. Severns crew is very professional, with a heavy emphasis on education regarding the local species. Scuba Shack is more laid back, and while the dives are also guided (as with Severns), they are much more lenient and let the divers do more budy pair exploring. The other plus with Scuba Shack, IMHO, is cheaper rates and awesome, almost entirely new gear every month. You do have to put up with a bit of the Captain's shameless advertisinhg if you go with SS, but it's worth it to me.

By the way, I've also done many shore dives in Maui with Shaka Doug and he is awesome. Truthfully, shore dives are the way to go in Maui as there is so much marine life in the shallows.

I hope this is helpful. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any specific questions.

Shark Founding Member
    One of the really nice things about the time change is that it won't be so horrible to have to leave Kaanapali at 5:30 to make sure you're at the boat ramp in Kihei on time. Ed Robinson's check in is at 6:30, but B&B checks in at 5:45!

We used to stay in Kaanapali and at first went with Lahaina Divers. As we became more experienced divers and wanted more independence and longer bottom times, we felt is was well worth it to drive down to Kihei to dive with Ed Robinsons (our preferred op) because they offer advanced and 3-tank charters, which appeal to us. If your a beginning diver or one who doesn't dive much, Lahaina Divers is an excellent choice, but if ou have more experience and are an independent diver, you'll want to drive to Kihei. Our preferred operators are Ed Robinsons, Makena Coast Charters, and Dive & Sea (who has a 7:30 check in).

What I will strongly recommend though is to be sure to have an experienced dive guide. Marine life and topography in Hawaii is so different than anywhere else in the world that a good guide can make the difference between seeing everything and nothing. So if you decide to shore dive, do yourself a favor and hire someone. Besides Shaka Doug, I will highly recommend Sam at Maui Dive Shop in Kihei. She is excellent as well.

I think we'll miss you by a week, but I will suggest whomever you decide to book with, do it sooner rather than later. December can be a busy time of year.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Shark
    yes it is worth getting up early for ed robinson!!! we just go to bed at 8pm. actually make the time change a little easier on our old bones. lahaina divers are good for 40 to 50 min dives and some times it feels like a cattle drive BUT you can go to see the cathedrals and they are AWESOME!!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

TadPole
    We were in Maui this summer and stayed in the Ka'anapali area and drove to Kihei in the morning. It is a nice drive, I don't mind it at all, about 45 mins is right. We went out with B&B Scuba. Excellent people with a great sense of humor, we had a great time with them. They do have check in at 5:45 am so it is an early morning but well worth it.

Guppy
    Images
    We just got back and I would highly recommend Hawaiian rafting Adventures http://www.goscubadivemaui.com/ out of Lahaina. We were skeptical due to the name and the amount of info we were able to find. We only dove one day with them and we wish we would have dove the whole week with them. The best dive we had was a shore dive at Mala pier. Give Hawaiian rafting adventures a call and see what they have to offer.

Shark
    the Mala pier is awesome i could dive it every day!!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

Thread Information