Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching to BP/W

Grouper
    I have both, and use the 18lb travelling in the tropics ( with the travel plate, 2-3mm wetsuit and usually an Al80 hire tank ). In that combo it works great, have a couple of 3lb lead weights in pockets on the tank straps and 6 lb on a weight belt, float perfectly on the surface. Have tried it with an Al plate and 5 mm wetsuit etc. and would recommend the 30lb in that situation.
    Devil, depending on where your'e travelling, just a little bit lighter and a little bit smaller does matter (15kg limit on small planes as an example)
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oddbod View Post
    Devil, depending on where you're traveling, just a little bit lighter and a little bit smaller does matter (15kg limit on small planes as an example)
    I understand and have both the 18lb and 30lb wings as well. I almost always travel with the 18lb, at least for the warm Caribbean waters where it is great. I also only use 8lbs weight with this wing in these warm waters. If I were diving in cooler waters where I needed more weight or if the conditions were rough I would prefer to use the 30lb.

But as you said every little bit helps with travel so it comes back to taking all of these things into consideration and picking the right equipment for you and your diving needs. I was just throwing a suggestion out there to think about, I am sure we have all purchased gear a some point that seemed like a good idea at the time but really did not work out in the long term.

Man... 15kg is pretty tight. Do they let you pay for extra baggage or is it a hard limit?
    DevilDiver

First the important part... wing color. Black is more fashionable and slimming but to be honest I really dislike that most divers all look the same underwater. Extra color makes buddy checks a lot easier and if this is for rec diving no reason to "blend" into the background. I have started using neon accents on all my gear just so I can be seen from further away. It might be a bit 80s but if something happens to me I don't want someone saying it wasn't because they couldn't see me. Also color has a particular advantage when diving busy sites where multiple charter operations may be running.

As for the wing... a wing only needs to be as large enough to float the rig and offset any potential buoyancy loss during a dive. Most divers in warm waters usually have a wing that is WAY bigger than they need. In some cases a 17lb wing can be overkill. The mistake a lot of divers make when selecting a wing is figuring in the amount of lead they carry to sink themselves but a persons buoyancy in water is generally a fixed amount and doesn't need to compensated for since it won't change. So reasonable reasons for a large wing beyond the minimum would be multiple conditions in diving and wanting to keep a single rig or in some cases comfort at the surface.

Barracuda
    Images
    The op stated that he uses 20lbs of weight. That is 20lbs plus 3lbs for a full AL80 plus 1 lbs for the reg so we are at 24lbs negative with a 18lbs wing so if all the weight is on the harness the rig will not float without him in it. You could move the weight to weight belt but if you have to remove your rig on the surface that leaves you over weighted and would probably have to drop some weight. Oxy wings are so narrow thought the middle they get pinched between the tank and the plate and I believe that you lose a couple pounds of lift. I suspect when he gets his BP and wing he find that 20lbs are way to much weight and will probably drop a few lbs, the question still remains will be enough to float the rig. I dive with between 8 and 12lbs so I could get buy with a 18lbs wing but I always carry a secondary lift device when I dive. I feel in this case a 30 would just right and 40 would be a over kill.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Devildiver turned me onto the 30lb wing too. He is wrong, wrong, wrong though! It HAS to be Green and Gold to be perfect.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks for all the input on the weight and color issue. I am going with the 30lb lift. I live in the cold midwest and while I don't dive here I might change my mind and would hate to have to upgrade again. I am hoping this is my last bcd type upgrade for a while.

Straegen makes a good point I am stuck with a rent a buddy a lot and colors do set you apart from others. Bright fins and so on noticed on the boat help underwater. Hmmm black harness and red wing. Black and red my two favorite matching colors. GO Bearcats!

Did anyone see the Black Friday deals? They came through big time I am calling them here in a bit when those lazy Texans get to work.

Barracuda
    Maybe look for scarlet and grey? But I guess then it would be 12 dives and the season ends
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Grouper
    Images
    Just curious can anyone compare the Dive Rite Bp/w set up that is on sale to the Oxychq wing?

Grouper
    Images
    Got the Dive Rite Harness, backplate and Oxycheq 30lb wing. I went with black although the purple or red was tempting. Can't wait to try it out on my trip.

Barracuda
    Images
    I went with digital camo for my 18# tropical wing. Why? To blend in?

No. I went camo to stand out from all the other divers.

Ironic, no?
    - Fisheater

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information