Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown to our First Cruise

Images

Countdown to our First Cruise

In two weeks I should be in Coz finishing up a couple dives. Leaving for a cruise on 12/9 via Carnival heading to Coz, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. Have booked dives for Coz, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. In Belize we skipped the diving and opted for some sort of tubing excursion. (Heard the good dives sites were too far to reach while on a cruise in Belize)

Not sure how I'm going to like the cruise thing, but trying to keep an open mind. Sitting on a island doing things on my time tables appeals to me more, but we'll see.

I'll definitely post a trip report upon the return and hopefully it's a "can't wait to do it again" type of report.

Snagel

Snag ... the good thing about cruising is you can make it what you want. My in-laws took us on our first cruise, and the DH went kicking & screaming thinking it was going to be boring (and he'd be stuck with his parents, lol!) By the time we got back, he was asking how soon we could go again. It took 8 years, but after that we managed to do 11 more cruises. Cruising led to diving, and let us check out some places we might not have made it to otherwise. It's been a few years since we've cruised, but if the opportunity comes up again (and the price is right!) we'd go again. I hope you have a blast, and look forward to your trip report when you get back!

Grouper
    Images
    Have a great time. I have never cruised but sometimes you have to give in to the wishes of other. It will be nice to escape to the sun and leave the cold mid-west behind.

I am a cruise whore but it isn't for everyone. The downsides to me are excursions can be extremely touristy, generally get nickle and dimed at every turn, there is zero fiber in the prepared buffet food and a lot of the entertainment is cheesy. However there is a lot to do, the scenery always changes, if you can manage all the tack on charges it is a relatively cheap vacation, groups do very well in its diverse environment and if you avoid the worst of the prepackaged excursions cruising can be fantastic.

Enjoy your cruise. I am looking forward to your trip report. I have never cruised and I prefer being on shore on my schedule. It will be interesting to hear if you liked cruising.

Funeral Jorunna
    Have a great time.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Images
    Thanks for the well wishes! This is definatly a new adventure for us. Like many of you we love traveling to some island for a week and exploring on our own, but have to give this a shot.

Snagel

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I am a cruise whore
    Ditto. In fact, I did that same cruise for Spring Break 2010. Great itinerary. Standing on deck and watching the ship pull into and out of port is pretty cool . . . once . . . but on that itinerary, Roatan is the one to be on deck for. The port is a relatively narrow deepwater channel between land and coral reef. There are ruins from several ships that didn't make safe passage years ago. It is really cool.

If you have any questions about Carnival (been with them 4 times) or any of the ports on that itinerary, I'll be happy to give you whatever info I have.

Images
    Thanks for the tip on the Roatan Port, I'll check that out.

While we're at it....I'm a total virgin here to this cruise thing. Any and all tips would be appreciated. So far our plan is to show up do what we are told. Any inside information on what to do, not to do, don't get caught up in this, or you have to do this?

Snagel

Snag ... what port are you sailing out of? Also - check out Cruis Critic, if you haven't already. You can get lots of good info on the Forum there, and there is usually a Thread for each cruise so you can check out who will be on your ship. A couple times we found fellow divers that way.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information