Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinda going DIR

Barracuda
    Images
    welcome. to the dark side.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Grouper
    Images
    Personally, I don't use a crotch strap on a singles plate/wing rig. I found, that I never really required it to control a single, only thing I really miss is the back side d-ring. Thought about making a short tail and calling it good.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Megalodon
    Images
    I had a Transpak without a crotch strap, I found that it definitely needed one. On the surface, it rode up considerably. Never had a problem with my BP/W with a crotch strap. Haven't tried a 1" strap yet.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Clernix, you are going to love Curacao - we went there last December.

I'm a little nervous about you heading down there with a whole new gear setup and would highly encourage you to try and get somewhere to try it out before your trip, but understand when it simply isn't doable.

Have fun and if you have any questions about Curacao, let me know.

Snagel

Grouper
    Images
    one thing I've noticed diving a BP/W is that at the surface I float lower in the water than people using a jacket BC . In rough water it can take a little getting used to. The times I've been to curacao never really had a lot of heavy wave action except at Rediho so it shouldn't be an issue.
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    one thing I've noticed diving a BP/W is that at the surface I float lower in the water than people using a jacket BC . In rough water it can take a little getting used to.
    +1 good point
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Grouper
    Images
    Well I put it together tonight but I'll have to pull it apart again; put the wing on backwards. The article and video helped a lot thanks. I have been reading a lot about DIR in the past week and there is a lot of good information out there; of course wiki is best. I really plan on changing my future diving.

Going to start doing a lot more local diving including the Great Lakes. I am reading a lot about Lake Michigan. While the zebra mussels seem to be causing a lot of problems they are really clearing up the lake. I am going to get some more training as well. I am a cert DM atm but I plan to do some tech stuff over the next two years.

DIR also stresses physical fitness. Well I didn't need to cut any of the webbing off. Now mind you I am 6'5" but I need to work on the waste line.

So looks like my new BP/W came with a full set of New Years resolutions included!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Took me a while to find this but here is a lot of really good info...

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate
    Nice link, thank you!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
    Personally, I don't use a crotch strap on a singles plate/wing rig. I found, that I never really required it to control a single, only thing I really miss is the back side d-ring. Thought about making a short tail and calling it good.
    I never really realized how much I like having the crotch strap in place, until I tried diving without it once. I really does help keep things from shifting around for me. And the back side d-ring is priceless! I actually have been thinking about picking up a double ring built for sidemount that attaches to the back of the crotch strap just to help situate all the stuff I put back there a little better...

Grouper
    Images
    Well as everyone said the first couple of dives was all about dialing in the new gear. Once I had my weight right and the BP/W fit properly it was an amazing upgrade.

I will would never go back to a BCD. I opted for a weight belt instead of weighting the harness and really liked it. I did add one weight pouch to the top cam strap.

I have always been slightly over weighted to avoid the embarrassment of jumping off the dive boat and having the DM come over to me and add weight to get me down. This time here in Bonaire I had time to play with the weight and get it right.

Last day on Bonaire today I will post a report when I get back.

Bon Bine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information