Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full foot fin for laps

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Thanks Lulubelle. I am trying to firstly get my legs in shape for some diving in January and after that for cardio/weight loss. Not too concerned with speed. The reason I wanted to use fins is I seem to use different muscles than when going barefoot.
    They do, but fewer, and more specific. I know a lot of people that use them for speed training when they aren't tapered. Mostly master's swimmers and triathletes who hate swimming but need to improve their times. But for the rest of us, focusing on working the large muscles and burning fat is best done sans fins. It is a lot more work! Unless you are doing extended sets with fins in a long course pool. Best suggestion my brother gave me was to ditch the devices.

Images
    Yep, that's what I am worried about. Nothing like getting a blister on the top of the foot where the fin rubs, especially in salt water. Not to mention sand getting in there. I will probably have to go through a lot of trial and error to find some that fit properly.
    --Zeagle Eagle

You could try "Body Surfing Fins" or the original navy dive fin "duck foot fin" they are short, and though open heel they work well with no dive boot. The short fin will still work the leg muscles you want, but make you work harder to build up muscle than a regular sive fin....

vdkgm.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    They do, but fewer, and more specific. I know a lot of people that use them for speed training when they aren't tapered. Mostly master's swimmers and triathletes who hate swimming but need to improve their times. But for the rest of us, focusing on working the large muscles and burning fat is best done sans fins. It is a lot more work! Unless you are doing extended sets with fins in a long course pool. Best suggestion my brother gave me was to ditch the devices.
    That's probably the best solution for me too. I just didn't want to end up in the Cayman's in January with cramps.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    swimoutlet.com sells inexpensive fins and neoprene socks. I swim laps with fins before dive trips too. It really helps to prevent me from getting cramps in my calves. I have a pair of Speedo brand full foot fins that fit me well and do not cause blisters. I have not used socks, but I have seen people use regular ankle height cotton socks with fins at the pool and on dive boats.
    Speedo Trialon Rubber Swim Fin at SwimOutlet.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SEMO Scuba View Post
    swimoutlet.com sells inexpensive fins and neoprene socks. I swim laps with fins before dive trips too. It really helps to prevent me from getting cramps in my calves. I have a pair of Speedo brand full foot fins that fit me well and do not cause blisters. I have not used socks, but I have seen people use regular ankle height cotton socks with fins at the pool and on dive boats.
    Speedo Trialon Rubber Swim Fin at SwimOutlet.com
    Well they are cheap enough that I can order a pair and try them out. How is the sizing? I wear size 10 in a shoe. I am figuring an XL will work for me.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I usually wear a 10-10 1/2 size shoe. My my fins are XL and fit well. I also bought jammer swim trunks to wear under my wet suit. They don't bunch up in under your wet suit, dry very quickly after a dive, and I don't get itchy swim suit butt after a few days of diving. I do wear regular swim trunks over the jammer until I suit up. The jammers look better on guys that are younger and more fit than me, but I don't really care. Men's Swim Jammers at SwimOutlet.com

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Well they are cheap enough that I can order a pair and try them out. How is the sizing? I wear size 10 in a shoe. I am figuring an XL will work for me.
    That is the problem I have, my foot is size 13 WWWWide none of the fitness fins fit.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cgvmer View Post
    That is the problem I have, my foot is size 13 WWWWide none of the fitness fins fit.
    Whoa, I would pay money to see that.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda Founding Member
    Well I got back in the water to do some exercise, and I found a pair of fins that fit. They are Churchill Makapuu fins, http://www.churchillfinsreview.com/c...-makapuu-fins/ they fit my foot in the XL size.

My current daily swim is 1500 free and I finish with 500 legs only, I don't get any rubbing or sores from these fins... I found them in a local Sports Authority.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information