Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Full foot fin for laps

  1. #1
    Shark Zeagle Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/25/2008
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    3,172
    Images
    12

    Full foot fin for laps

    I am looking for a full foot fin for swimming laps. Any recommendations? I love my Apollo splits and Scuba Pro splits but they take a boot.

    I am trying to get my legs back in shape for the beginning of diving season, January.
    --Zeagle Eagle

  2. #2
    Grouper bfmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    11/20/2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    630
    When I am working out in the pool I use an open heel fin with a 3mm neoprene sock. Not stylish but it works for me.YMMV. The surprise is to try swimming laps without fins. You get so used to having all of the thrust from the fins. What a shock to find out how little thrust you get from bare feet.

  3. #3
    Grouper
    Join Date
    07/11/2008
    Location
    Islamorada, FL
    Age
    59
    Posts
    565
    Images
    4
    Take a look at Mares Volo Race fins. I picked up a pair to use in the pool when I was training for the swims for my DM course a few years back. They were recommended by a couple of instructors at the dive shop I trained with (the shop does not carry Mares brand btw). Great fins.

  4. #4
    Shark Zeagle Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/25/2008
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    3,172
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmorgan View Post
    When I am working out in the pool I use an open heel fin with a 3mm neoprene sock. Not stylish but it works for me.YMMV. The surprise is to try swimming laps without fins. You get so used to having all of the thrust from the fins. What a shock to find out how little thrust you get from bare feet.
    Hadn't thought of that. Where can I get some 3mm neoprene socks? I see ST's has some 2mm.
    --Zeagle Eagle

  5. #5
    Shark Zeagle Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/25/2008
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    3,172
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    Take a look at Mares Volo Race fins. I picked up a pair to use in the pool when I was training for the swims for my DM course a few years back. They were recommended by a couple of instructors at the dive shop I trained with (the shop does not carry Mares brand btw). Great fins.
    The Mares looks like a good option for me. I notice that LP also has some Scuba Pro full foot fins for $50 bucks.
    How long did it take your feet to "toughen up" so you don't get blisters? I am really wanting to go without socks if I can.
    --Zeagle Eagle

  6. #6
    Grouper bfmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    11/20/2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. Where can I get some 3mm neoprene socks? I see ST's has some 2mm.
    Remember that I am in
    the Northern U.S. I doubt that I can find 2mm socks up here. The real reason that I have 3 mm socks is that I will wear them with a 5 mm boot....water temps around 40 degrees (F). Then I discovered that a 3 mm sock was just about right when water temps get into the 60s and 70s. Only challenge is to make sure your fin's foot pocket still fits your foot. I got lucky and my blades fit, but not my split fins.

  7. #7
    Barracuda
    Join Date
    07/15/2008
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    23
    I use these in the pool, you can either use them barefooted or with a neoprene sock. They have a really soft foot pocket and using them barefoot even for long dive without hurting you feet. They also make a great travel fin and will easily fit into a carry on bag without bending them. You can put them on the stiff setting and frog kick with them, no where near as powerful as a set of jets but they do work. I won't give up my Mares Quarto or my DR fins for 99% percent of my diving but these are a great little fin.

    HotShot - New Color
    Last edited by CWSWine; 12-15-2012 at 10:46.
    - Dennis ><()))">

  8. #8
    Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Join Date
    07/22/2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,406
    If you are training for strength and fitness, don't use fins. You will develop much more strength in your legs without them. If you are training for speed, then swim fins are great but should be alternated with none. Hell of a lot more work to swim without.

    From my favorite lap swimming coach, an Olympic Medalist in the 100 free.


  9. #9
    Shark Zeagle Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/25/2008
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    3,172
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    If you are training for strength and fitness, don't use fins. You will develop much more strength in your legs without them. If you are training for speed, then swim fins are great but should be alternated with none. Hell of a lot more work to swim without.

    From my favorite lap swimming coach, an Olympic Medalist in the 100 free.
    Thanks Lulubelle. I am trying to firstly get my legs in shape for some diving in January and after that for cardio/weight loss. Not too concerned with speed. The reason I wanted to use fins is I seem to use different muscles than when going barefoot.
    --Zeagle Eagle

  10. #10
    Grouper
    Join Date
    07/11/2008
    Location
    Islamorada, FL
    Age
    59
    Posts
    565
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    The Mares looks like a good option for me. I notice that LP also has some Scuba Pro full foot fins for $50 bucks.
    How long did it take your feet to "toughen up" so you don't get blisters? I am really wanting to go without socks if I can.
    The biggest problem most folks have with full foot fins is that they rarely fit well. I got lucky in that regard so I didn't have any trouble. Either that or my feet are really tough. My wife actually wore socks with hers and that worked for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Full Foot Fin Keepers
    By ScubaToys Larry in forum New Product RSS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 11:41
  2. Dacor DXD Full Foot Fin
    By ScubaToys Larry in forum New Product RSS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 16:50
  3. Dacor DXD Full Foot Fin
    By Monkeylemon in forum Mask / Snorkels / Fins
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 14:14
  4. Full foot fin choices
    By azdiver in forum Mask / Snorkels / Fins
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 18:21
  5. Full foot fin choice
    By azdiver in forum Mares
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 10:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •