Thread: Travelling to & from Truk/Chuuk

Barracuda

Question Travelling to & from Truk/Chuuk

I will be flying on United/Continental since that's where I have the miles to do it... Where, if anywhere, do I have to go thru customs & immigration? Just to make sure I plan plenty of time for that connection time.

Going: Honolulu to Guam to Truk (I am assuming Truk)
    Coming: Truk to Pohnpei to Honolulu (I am assuming Honolulu)
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Why not just plan a minimum of three hours for each connection? Customs and Immigration are not the only things that can eat up your time--there's also delayed/late arrivals and departures, cancelled flights due to weather and mechanical problems.

Ultimately, though, you could just ask your airline the question and I'm sure they'll tell you.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Images
    You don't clear immigration in Guam as it is part of the US. You do have to clear customs though, very quick 10 minutes or less if you don't get trapped behind a full 747 from Korea. You will also have to clear customs and immigration in Chuuk. Like the Pman said plan a couple of hours in Guam and almost no time in Chuuk going in 2 hours going out.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Will try to answer my own question, but as P-man & ZE elude to... it's not a simple answer. Obviously the answer will depend on where your flying from and what airline. This scenario is based on United flying out of Austin, TX. As best I can tell United is the only major airline servicing Chuuk, so you'll end up on them sooner or later...

Austin -> LA (layover) -> Honolulu -> Guam -> Chuuk
    Checked bag in AUS, picked up in LAX. Rechecked in LAX next morning thru to TKK. Vague customs form for HNL, just a guy gathering them and sending you on your way. I don't recall anything in Guam. TKK is kind of a like CZM. Basic and easy to complete Customs and Immigration forms. Passport stamped. Grab bags & proceed to bag check, random as to whether you get checked, just asked a question or two and sent on my way.
    **TIP** If you need to potty or THINK you may need to potty, do so on the plane before you land. No working water in the bathrooms and hadn't been in a LOOOONG time. Nor had cleaning been done. Really, like not in months probably.

Chuuk -> Guam -> Honolulu -> Houston -> Austin
    Checked bag rummage at TKK before approaching the ticket counter to check in. Pay your $20 departure tax and get your boarding passes, I got all of them at once there. Wait around until they open the "terminal", quick rummage of your carry-on and personal bag, pass thru a metal detector. Remember the potty thing from arrival??? The same applies to departure, you could smell it from outside of the bathroom. Anyways..... Quick immigrations in GUM, then back thru TSA for a check. Collect checked bags in HNL, random customs check and recheck bag, then thru TSA again. Nothing noteworthy in Houston or Austin, except being back home and having to put on long pants!
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Thread Information