View Poll Results: Would you pay the Cash and get the certs to dive the B29?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 38.10%
  • No!

13 61.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dive the B29?

Guppy Founding Member

Dive the B29?

Would you pay the 300+ bucks (not coutning the certs) to dive the limited access B29 at the bottom of Lake Mead?
    Thanks,

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers

Barracuda
    Images
    300? The web site says 450...

That's money better spent elsewhere for me..

TadPole
    BMP,

In my opinion the B-29 is going to be a very hard sell at most prices. While a B-29 crash site is rare, even a $150 is a lot of money for something you can't touch. It's my understanding NPS has a cable around the bomber defining the "keep out" zone.

I'm sure NPS is charging a significant fee for the CUA permits to dive the B-29, but why? In contrast, the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce only charges a $10 a year fee to dive the Spiegal Grove, a much more interesting dive in my opinion, and with other wrecks simply paying the charter fee.

Am I missing some nostalgia that justifies these premiums?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod Charles R's Avatar
    Images
    Not willing to pay those fees If I want to dive Wrecks I'll take the 450 and fly to North Carolina and stay and dive some great war wrecks
    "If you can't get wet doing it, it can't be fun"

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have a feelign a b29 in a lake, would look about like it would at a meusem... Which, would normally be ok, but not for that price.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by wkowalski View Post
    BMP,

In my opinion the B-29 is going to be a very hard sell at most prices. While a B-29 crash site is rare, even a $150 is a lot of money for something you can't touch. It's my understanding NPS has a cable around the bomber defining the "keep out" zone.

I'm sure NPS is charging a significant fee for the CUA permits to dive the B-29, but why? In contrast, the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce only charges a $10 a year fee to dive the Spiegal Grove, a much more interesting dive in my opinion, and with other wrecks simply paying the charter fee.

Am I missing some nostalgia that justifies these premiums?
    I think I remember reading about a B-29 crash off San Diego. Plus if you dive there, there are other wrecks to see.

The National Park Service has gone a little nuts about restricting acess to public lands. They've even gotten anal about the back country in Yellowstone where the foot traffic is nothing like around Old Faithful. I think there is a similar dive policy in Lake Yellowstone. I've never spoken to a diver who has actually jumped through the necessary hoops to dive there.

The USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor is a restricted dive also. Unless you're related to someone on the NPS dive team.

Art

Grouper
    The Arizona is a whole different ball game in my book.

I would say that what ever the price is for the B-29, the state is getting something out of it. Especially since part of it seems to be cabled off as a no dive zone.

Grouper
    I never really understood why wrecks are so popular... I've been to one wreak at about 100 feet and it was cool but to do another? nah not for me...

Grouper
    Kinda like caves, coralcrazed. If you don't get it then you won't dive them. I like the wrecks just because of their history. Also being from IN it is about the only deep diving that I get to do.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
    Kinda like caves, coralcrazed. If you don't get it then you won't dive them. I like the wrecks just because of their history. Also being from IN it is about the only deep diving that I get to do.
    yeh but why is it important to go deep? to say you've been there or that you've seen this or that. If I want history I open my books or use the net. Oh and caves... whats there to get? Is it the thrill of going in and being able to get out? My desire for diving lies on seeing the ocean life. corals and fish. thats just me but I'm trying to understand what else I may be missing. Its answers like that that get me even more confused about the question.
    Last edited by coralcrazed; 09-23-2007 at 01:18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information