Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pony Tanks

Grouper
    Images
    I was thinking the same set up. I have a longer hose and a single reg. "It was a lot easier to reach the valve with the valve down and for me, almost impossible to reach with the valve up." Are you diving yours with a closed valve? Is it standard to keep it closed till needed?

Megalodon
    Images
    I honestly can't tell you if closed valve is standard or not. From what I've read over the years, Valve open or charged and then closed can be a heated debate, kind of like split fins vs. paddle fins. I've kept to the charge the reg then close the valve thinking. My thought process was that if I have the valve open and don't notice a leak, when I really, REALLY need that gas, and it's not there, I've gone from "This is not good" to "This is really, really really not good, and it just got worser". If turning the valve on is in my muscle memory when using the pony I will do the same in a crisis.

I have practiced with the pony at the end of a number of dives to build that muscle memory as well as ensuring that I can indeed rely on the amount of gas when I need it. The most extreme I've done is to switch to a 40cuft pony while on a deep dive (120') where I was about 200' from my ascend point, do a deep stop for a minute and then a 3 minute safety stop before surfacing. I have found that I could complete the turn on the pony and surface with about 1500 psi left. That reinforced that I did have an adequate amount of bailout for any diving I'm going to do and the extra would probably be less in a real crisis as my RMV would probably be higher.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    My pony's 2nd stage is right at my right shoulder. No way I would not notice a free flow. Even though I sling the pony I keep the valve open. If I run into trouble I want to just grab it and breathe. The last thing I want to do is fumble around with a valve. If I am diving non-solo (very seldom) I don't want an OOA diver to have to wait for me to turn the valve on.

I have a very short hose on my primary reg. Too short for an OOA diver to get close enough to use. I discuss this at length and have them practice pulling the pony octo free a couple times so they can see how easy it is. I make sure they know that the pony is on and ready to go. The entire pony rig is fluorescent yellow so there is no question of what is what (I do not have an octo on my main tank). I show them that I will unclip and hand them the pony so we aren't tied together on ascent (though we can still keep contact on the way up).

One other thing. My pony is equipped with an H2Odyessy valve/1st stage to get as small a package as possible. I dive only a 13cf pony. I've tested and know I can make it up with a safety stop from 130' even at 2X my normal SAC. The valve is small and is the same size as the SPG so there could be some confusion if I was wearing gloves. I don't want to have to look at the pony to make sure I've got the right disk in my fingers.

I tried several ways of attaching the pony octo to my right shoulder. Some allowed free flow when first hitting the water (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqusoh/s...er-with-clip?=,,). The absolute best mechanism that I've found is this: http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba/qd...FQGUaQodHkED3A This sucker is amazing.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    When I click on your link I get this error:

403 - Forbidden Error

You are not allowed to access this address.
    If the error persists, please contact the website webmaster.

Can you re-send it or point me in the right direction?
    Yeah. I get the same thing. I'm wondering if Goodrum closed down the site to the general public. They are (always have been) mainly a source for governmental/emergency services/police/fire etc. enteties. I bought mine a number of years ago.

A quick Google shows Amazon has it for $87.75 - http://www.amazon.com/H2ODYSSEY-H2Od.../dp/B002ZHKJU2

Barracuda Founding Member
    My thoughts on pony bottles. If mounting on you back tank any size under 40 cuft seems to work. Slung I like 40 cuft, 30 will work but the 40 fits me well. Anything under 30 cuft could become a PIA to sling correctly. Also look at your BC and see if it has correct points to sling a bottle. Chest d ring to waist d ring.

Backmount I would keep the gas turned on reg clipped off to my BC. Slung I charge and turn off the gas until needed. Hose is bunged to the tank with reg connect to the valve area with a old school snorkel keeper. Keeps the reg out of the way but still easy to get.

No matter what your setup test it out on a easy dive first. Can you reach and deploy it quickly and easy. Can you do it with your eyes closed. Can you still reach everything else with the addition on the pony. None of this is rocket science but small problems can become big ones so always practice with new gear setups in a safe place.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by comet24 View Post
    My thoughts on pony bottles. ... Anything under 30 cuft could become a PIA to sling correctly.
    IMO there is no "correct" way to sling a pony. The way I attach mine is less conventional but works exceptionally well for me. Also, anything over a 19cf (IMO) isn't a pony. The 30cf and 40cf tanks carried are more small sidemount tanks. They are too big to be considered ponies. Just my 2 cents.
    Abandon all hope ...

Grouper
    Images
    I dove my pony for the first time this trip in Jupiter. I never needed but I did try it out. I dove my normal dive plan and at the end surfaced using the pony. Worked will. Had it refilled with 32% and will keep it in the closet till needed.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    IMO there is no "correct" way to sling a pony. The way I attach mine is less conventional but works exceptionally well for me. Also, anything over a 19cf (IMO) isn't a pony. The 30cf and 40cf tanks carried are more small sidemount tanks. They are too big to be considered ponies. Just my 2 cents.
    I some ways I agree. Care to share how you sling your tank. I'm genuinely intrested. My first pony tank was a 19cuft. I used a Dive Rite bracket to mount it to my back tank. Later as I moved into more advanced wreck diving and was using double it sat around for years. Then I decided to see how it would sling. It's shorter lenght meant I had to have more slack/rope on the sling part that conects to your D rings. This meant it would move around more and had a few extra inches of sling/rope.

For me it just didn't work well but if it works for you go for it. IMHO if you slinging a tank it's there and a little extra length doesn't matter. Now I'm about 6 feet so this could make a bigger differance on someone else.

I think it's good that diver try things and out find what works for them. There are few times when there is just one way to do it.

Grouper
    Here's a picture. I use a QD Hose Holder (http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-di...FQGUaQodHkED3A) to keep the octo on my right shoulder. I tried other holders but they all had problems. The QD is perfect. It pops free easily and I keep the pony valve open during a dive.

I can easily unclip and hand off. I can also read the SPG very easily. It looks like it would create a lot of drag but I don't notice it. I can also sling it conventionally (parallel with my body) but I don't find that as convienent.

Pony Slung.jpg
    Abandon all hope ...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Yeah. I get the same thing. I'm wondering if Goodrum closed down the site to the general public. They are (always have been) mainly a source for governmental/emergency services/police/fire etc. enteties. I bought mine a number of years ago.

A quick Google shows Amazon has it for $87.75 - http://www.amazon.com/H2ODYSSEY-H2Od.../dp/B002ZHKJU2
    Thanks Charon
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information