Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pony Tanks

Grouper
    Images

Pony Tanks

I was just on Bonaire and did a few solo dives and really liked it. I was a bit uneasy without a redundant air source.

Their are a few posts on pony bottle mounts and most think the sling seems to be best. I don't want the tank in front of me at all. I like to get in close to take pics and it would get in the way.

I read about the tank mounts and I like those. Of course carrying a tank on a plane is impractical. The dive shop I used had 60 cft tanks would that fit in a pony mount?

To be honest I liked solo diving so much I would spend the extra $200 every trip for a tank from a local store of course if that could be avoided it would be better.

Megalodon
    Images
    There is no way I would solo without a redundant system. A 60 cuft is way too big for rec diving redundant system IMHO. Depth depending, a 30 cuft should be good enough-if you figure 1/2 your gas needs as a back up. I personally like the 40cuft, but it is a bit longer and slightly unwieldy on a tank mount: 24.5" for the 30 and 27.7 for the 40.

As for back mount vs. sling, I've found that if I have things configured right, a slung pony doesn't get in the way.

Location dependant, I've given thought to buying a tank and then shipping it home as well.

Now, for the non-forum members reading: Are you solo certified? I strongly recommend anyone who is comtemplating solo diving to get the certification. Not only are you safer when solo diving, but you gain a lot of planing and self-rescue skills in the class.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda Founding Member
    Navy is SDI still the only agency that has a solo diver cert?
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Megalodon
    Images
    As far as I know, yes. I have heard rumors that PADI (yes...P...A...D...I...) is looking to do a solo cert, but this has not been independantly confrmed.

ETA: Apparently PADI does indeed have a solo cert. They are calling it Self-Sufficient/Self-Reliant Diver.

http://www.divernet.com/Training/989...goes_solo.html
    Last edited by navyhmc; 01-12-2013 at 23:44.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    You are right Navy it was pretty stupid. I had spent a lot of money and was with divers that didn't want to dive a much as me. The gear was freshly serviced and I maxed at 60ft and spent most of the dive at 30 ft. Your still right though.

Next time I go I am going to drop the cash. I already have the name of the LDS down there and they will have a tank waiting.

Images
    I have a better idea, next time you go to Bonaire instead of spending the money on a extra tank and classes send me a plane ticket and I guarantee that I will not let you down and will dive every dive you want to. That way you don't have to hassle with the solo diving issues. That is just the kind of person I am and will take one for the team so you can get your dives in.

Snagel

Grouper
    I take a 13 cf ewverywhere (calculated and tested to provide me with plenty of air at my SAC). It's no problem to take the valve/reg off, pack the pony in checked, and reassemble when I arrive. I get unlimited shore so filling is no problem. I can't imagine it would be a problem on a live-aboard or anywhere else as long as the hydro and vis are current. Actually, I've never had anyone even check. I recently got a 27 cf that I will take on my next trip in addition to the 13 cf. It's simply not a problem.

I also include two copies of the TSA regulation concerning compressd gas cylinders in the checked bag - one loose on top and one rubber-banded to the pony. Here's the link: Compressed Gas Cylinders | Transportation Security Administration

Grouper
    Images
    Also an option Snagel hehe.

Charon just curious are the valves that easy to take on and off? What about the weight issue what does one weigh?

Also just pulled up AA website if you travel with a tank they want $150 extra per bag!
    Last edited by Clernix; 01-13-2013 at 09:43.

Guppy
    I use the H2Odyssey combo Valve/First stage with a 13cuft tank. This helps with the weight problem and I stick it in my carry on with a piece of clear tape over the valve neck.

With the Yoke filler adapter you can do your own fills if necessary. I use a version with a two ft myflex hose on the second stage and a button pressure guage. You won't notice one of these slung in front.

H2Odyssey...Air Systems

Grouper
    I like to take a 19 cu ft pony with me on vacation. The tank fits into my carry on bag and can be put back together in a short time.
    I bring extra neck o-rings and put the valve in a plastic bag for transport. Its not hard to remove and replace the valve, just a little elbow grease and its done.
    I find that a 19 cu ft pony works well for my needs. Its weight is about 10 lbs and is about 20" long by about 5" diameter.

Jim Breslin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information