Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Texas

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amoses View Post
    Do you know when the Dive Around Texas 2013 info will be out?
    These two sites should help you out:

Copeland's Dive Around Texas

Dive Around Texas 2012
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    These two sites should help you out:

Copeland's Dive Around Texas

Dive Around Texas 2012
    Okay, Thanks. I have been going to the Dive Around Texas website but it still had mostly 2012 info - I see some of that has been updated. But when I talked to Lonestar Scuba about registering (who was a participating dealer last year - I see there are no dealers listed right now, they are probably updating it) they didn't think it had started yet and didn't have the registration forms, t-shirts etc. I guess Scubatoys probably has all that right? If you were closer to me, I would run right up there.

Thanks for the update. I will keep checking for some dealers close to me.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    So my wife is convinced that I am nuts for wanting to get SCUBA certified and keeps throwing up the fact that there is no where to dive in Texas. When I goodle SCUBA and Texas the sites that come up seem to be outdated. So how about some assistance in naming a few good places to head towards once I get my certification?
    Beware! The problem with getting scuba certified is that you will have a deep and abiding sense of regret that you did not do it sooner.

(P.S. Lots of great information in this thread.)

Guppy
    So can someone explain what the purpose of Dive Around Texas is? Is it just something cool to do or what? There isn't much info on the site...

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    So can someone explain what the purpose of Dive Around Texas is? Is it just something cool to do or what? There isn't much info on the site...
    It's to promote diving in the State and showcase the sites that are here. Too many folks have the impression of Texas as being largely dry and not friendly to the sport once you move inland from the Gulf.
    Last edited by PlatypusMan; 02-15-2013 at 01:29. Reason: Grammar. My third-grade teacher would be SO proud.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

TadPole
    I was recently certified and have dove, up in Oklahoma, at Lake Murray. I recently dove a week ago and the conditions were as follows: Surface Temp. 50 degrees, 30 ft. and below between 47 and 45 degrees. Visibility at the dedicated diving site was around 15 ft. down to about 30 ft. I didn't go any further down than that at that location. They have another site which is better to approach by boat but that's if you want to dive deep. It is possible to hike down to the location near the Old Spillway Tower but it is steep. Here the water conditions are the same but the visibility does get worse the deeper you go with heavy particulate. There is a platform at about 70 ft. depending on the water level. I didn't see many fish this time out but on my prior dives there in November 2012 there were many bass and other fish. If you want to visit websites that have good information about local sites and not just tropical destinations I suggest going to Lake Diver :: Welcome to the LakeDiver.com or Diving USA. Safe diving!

TadPole
    There is one spot not mentioned in Texas and I dove it last weekend and it was well worth the long drive. It was at San Solomon Springs near Balmorhea. It is in fact in Balmorhea State Park at the foot of the Davis mountains. I met lots of nice folks from Plano, Ft. Worth, Houston and San Antonio to mention a few. The cost was a whopping $7.00 per diver plus $5 more if you wanted to night dive. It of course is not Cozumel or the Flower Gardens but for a nice place to dive, a dive shop across the Hwy, it was great. Lots of fish, a few endangered species and some softshell(shy) turtles. The deepest point was about 27 feet but plenty of shallow water for working on skills and buoyancy. I wore a wetsuit the first day, after that, trunks and T shirt was okay until you got out of the water and had to deal with that west Tx wind.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information