Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas

Guppy

Texas

So my wife is convinced that I am nuts for wanting to get SCUBA certified and keeps throwing up the fact that there is no where to dive in Texas. When I goodle SCUBA and Texas the sites that come up seem to be outdated. So how about some assistance in naming a few good places to head towards once I get my certification?

I'm not in Texas but I'd advice you ask the local dive shops for a list of dive sites. You could probably go to PADI The Way the World Learns to Dive and use the store locator to find some local PADI shops. If you are near ScubaToys, give them a call (or better yet just drop in).

I almost went to Dallas for work. There were a few places to go diving. Most sites had local dive spots. Where I'm at now (Cincinnati, OH) all the local dive shops advertise trips to the Caribbean and say NOTHING about local diving. Texas definitely has places to dive. I'm just not sure what is around Midlothian.
    This signature left intentionally blank

My wife does not dive and thinks I am nuts. I have had a lot of experience selling dive trips. Point out that when you start diving, frequent trips to the ocean, Florida, and the Caribbean will be required to keep up your diving skills. Of course, being the intelligent husband that you are, your wife is always expected to travel with you on your dive trips. It looks like you are near Dallas, so I too would recommend Scubatoys. Of course, frequent trips to the dive shop are required because you will never have enough gear. Scubatoys will be able to point out the best diving locations. Do a little bit of searching here on the forum and you should find the most popular diving locations. I think that I remember CSSP (Clear Springs Scuba Park), Athens Scuba Park, Lake Travis and others being mentioned.

Some other arguments to use: You won't believe all of the underwater treasures that I can find underwater. While I am diving you can go shopping at your favorite store.Be warned, I tried these arguments without success.

Good luck and I hope that you end up enjoying getting certified.

Barracuda
    Images
    My better 15/16ths doesn't understand the lure of diving but she lets me go anyway. I've dove at Clear Springs Scuba Park at Terrell and at Aquarena Springs in San Marcos. Both were ok but nothing to get excited about. We are a short flight away from Cozumel that has beaches and nice hotels and shopping. I agree that Scuba Toys is a good starting place. By the way going diving at someone's backyard pool & sitting on the bottom just to get wet will get you wierd looks from almost everyone. Also you can take her to exotic places so you can dive. Good luck on getting her backing.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    We are a short flight away from Cozumel that has beaches and nice hotels and shopping.
    Yeah, what he said.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Images
    Athens Scuba Park
    Blue Lagoon
    Canyon Lake
    Clear Springs
    Lake Texoma
    Lake Travis
    Possum Lake
    Spring Lake
    Gulf Diving - The Gardens

and, what for it.....

Cozumel is a couple hours away!

Snagel

Guppy
    So dumb question....what's so great about Cozumel? Is it worth the money to go?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    Yes, some of the best diving you can get anywhere. It's cheap and it's close.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Obviously you opinion of cheap is different than mine! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    YES .... YES.... YES!!!!! Beautiful blue water, great reefs, tons of fish life, good food, super nice people ... and once you get there, you can stay on the island for pretty darn cheap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information