Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solo? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...Bueller?

Shark
    I wish that solo diving was more widely accepted by operators.

But, since they have such a huge segment of the market, that probably won't happen until PADI endorses it.

Edit to add: Speaking of which; whatever happened with that Self-Sufficient Diver course that PADI released a couple of years ago?

Grouper
    Here is a link to a video seminar about solo diving and how you are mostly diving solo even if you don't know it.

Solo Diving- Coming out of the Closet on Vimeo

I'm diving with my local scuba club tomorrow in Lake George. Pretty much an "I can't wait a single minute longer" event. It's also a good chance to do a shakedown of equipment, configuration and weighting. Water will be around 50F and nobody stays in for more than about a half hour. Nothing much to see anyway. Once the striped bass head back out to the ocean (late May/early June) I'll order my metal detecter and I'll be diving solo once a week at least. Come November I'll be on Bonaire diving my a$$ off solo for two weeks.

Shark
    That's awesome. Thanks.

Muppets!

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    I wish that solo diving was more widely accepted by operators.

But, since they have such a huge segment of the market, that probably won't happen until PADI endorses it.

Edit to add: Speaking of which; whatever happened with that Self-Sufficient Diver course that PADI released a couple of years ago?
    It is actually called the PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty. It is still offered by PADI but it isn't widely advertised. There are a many courses in the PADI Adventure Diver book which reference the associated Specialty courses. They do NOT list the Self-Reliant Diver Specialty however.

Pretty much every PADI shop does everything from Discover Scuba Diving to Divemaster. The Advanced Open Water Diver requires you to know the Adventure dives and of course PADI takes this as an opportunity to advertise the Specialty courses associated with the Adventure Diver certifications. However there is no Adventure Diver which leads to Self-Reliant Diver.

There are a few Specialty Diver certifications which Master Scuba Diver Trainer or Course Directors have submitted to PADI. PADI reviews them and if they approve the instructor is given the necessary rating to teach the Specialty. For example, there is a PADI OW Plus which has more requirements than the regular PADI OW. If you know about it, have the pre-requisites to teach it and feel there is a market for it in your area, you can get that rating and start teaching it.

Self-Reliant Diver is the same sort of thing. You won't find it in the PADI Instructor Manual but if you ask about it and are qualified to teach it, you can advertise it as a course you provide. I'm going to guess than someone who was an SDI/TDI instructor did a cross over to PADI and submitted a request to have a solo diver certification. PADI approved it for that shop and called it the Self-Reliant Diver Specialty. If other shops find out about this and request to teach it, I believe we will start to see more and more PADI shops teaching it.

Realistically, PADI probably sees the legal risk being too high and the financial incentive being too low. If PADI was losing a lot of business to SDI Solo Diver they might care but as both organizations require you to have 100+ dives the number of people who would switch to SDI probably isn't that different from the number of people who would switch even if they knew PADI had the Self-Reliant Specialty.

Also, I don't think it is PADI who is influencing operators. It would more likely be lawyers and insurance companies which are preventing operators from allowing solo diving.

This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    How dumb am I? I got to the "Break the Ice Dive" and found I had left my wetsuits at home. Had everything else, just no insulation. So I'll be going solo sometime this week in Saratoga Lake to proof my gear & setup. Oh well!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information