Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What gear would you buy first

Grouper
    I 2nd what ze said.
    Say When....

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TKEVCU View Post
    A reg setup would be the first stage, the second stage, the backup second stage, and the high pressure inflator hose.
    Your inflator uses the HP port? Wow.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    Your inflator uses the HP port? Wow.
    Yeah, well, could be a new diver misunderstanding. That said, TKEVCU, look at this video for a good understanding of HP vs. LP hoses and flow: Cutting a Divers Hose

Great acting too.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Depending on where youre diving, a wetsuit may head towards the top of the list ( also dependant on what your'e LDS rents), I have found more newbies give up because they're cold in an ill fitting wetsuit than using hire regs. If doing a liveaboard or similiar then a CHEAP wrist mounted computer Mares Mission Puck Wrist Nitrox Computer discounts on sale Mares can become invaluable. The other thing to think about is often when hiring it comes as "tanks and weights" or a "complete set", so not much use turning up with your regs and nothing else. I would almost say wait and try and buy regs and BPW together.
    PS. That computer will do you until after you start Tech diving and beyond.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Grouper

What to purchase next

Again I say that I would purchase a reg set up next. A reg setup is an item you can take with you no matter where you dive. As posted earlier, if you own your own reg, you know its history and condition.
    I have not rented regs in many years, but have seen that most rentals are either Scubapro MK2's or Sherwood Brut's. These regs are great bullet proof regs, but they are also low end in the performance category. They work great and last forever but they lack the fine tuning and adjustibility of the high end regs.
    You need to figure out as to what type of reg is correct for your needs. I am a fan of diaghragm regs rather than piston regs. I also like the reg to be a sealed diaghragm first stage because being sealed keeps the internals from coming in contact with the water/ salt / sand/ ... you get the idea.
    My best piece of advise is " GO SLOW " when it comes to buying your gear. I have gone thur too many reg set ups in the past 10 years, would have saved alot of money had I taken my time. I have gone from a Tusa set up to a Sherwood to a Scubapro to a Dive Rite, and have now to a combination of both Scubapro and Dive Rite reg set ups to meet my diving needs.

Jim Breslin

Images
    Reg then BC for sure and then computer if you have the money. The rest of the stuff rent 'till you know what you want.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Images
    + 1 on the reg

Grouper
    Images
    waiting also has another benefit. you learn if you really want to continue diving or not before you spend a ton of money
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

Barracuda
    Images
    Do what I did...Spend a ton of money on gear that you really didn't know anything about and ended up not wanting and then the next couple of years finding what kind of gear you really wanted and spend a ton of money only to find out that isn't really the kind of gear that matches you style of diving so you spend of ton of money again to get the gear you really wanted only to find out there a new wiz bang model out that you can't live with out. It's a never ending cycle - Help me.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Megalodon
    Images
    We're here for you Dennis!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information