Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D-Day

Guppy
    Kat I tried with her and my 13 year old daughter and both of the said no.

Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    Lol

Should I be sore this morning?

I told her about the Scuba Toys trip and she informed me I was not going down there without her and I told her she should scuba.
    Depends on the tone of voice that you used to deliver the ultimatum

Seriously, if your first pool session was the swimming test, unless you have been preparing for this by putting in a lot of pool time, you will be sore. The good news, this is the hardest class. The rest is challenging, but fun.

One of the last skills will be the NAUI scuba bailout or in my class we called it NAUI WOWEE! After learning all of the other skills NAUI WOWEE looked like it would be one of the biggest challenges of the course. Instead it was a lot of fun, and helped to confirm that my skills were progressing nicely.

Sorry, I warned you that this was an addiction. From your comments you are hooked, so dive often and enjoy.

Barracuda
    Congrats! tell them that we have cookies and Bacon. May you be hooked on diving for life or longer
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Images
    Sounds like you are having a fun time. Don't push others into scuba, it never ends up good. A person has to want to do for their own reasons. If they are only doing it because somebody else wants them to do it, it could lead to issues and maybe even disaster.

I was certified 5 years before her. One day she decided she wanted to do it and I jumped on it and supported her. Up to that point, she didn't want to do it, but after seeing how much fun I had maybe that changed her mind...who knows.

Stay in there it will be over before you know it.

Snagel

Guppy
    Images
    TGK, Even though my wife was not interested in diving, talking her into going to a warm beautiful beach was pretty easy.
    I was fortunate and had a good friend that dives and his wife go with us.
    It was great and we have been to a warm beautiful beach somewhere 3-4 times a year ever since.
    Does your family enjoy the water?
    If they enjoy the water and outdoors show them some of the pictures here on the forum and introduce them to the spectacular underwater world.
    If they are interested it provides you with a perfect way to introduce them to snorkeling.
    Many diving destinations also have snorkeling available.
    This is important, be patient, my wife was not interested at all in snorkeling as she was afraid of the water.
    She enjoyed the beach and I only did 2 dives a day so we could still spend time together.
    Eventually she became interested in learning how to swim, which slowly progressed to snorkeling.
    She got an inexpensive water resistant camera and really started to enjoy snorkeling.
    I must provide a warning here, as my wife became an avid snorkeler she wanted masks, fins, and snorkels to match her swim suits.
    She now has more masks and fins than I do.
    Good luck I hope some of this helps. Steveo
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Guppy
    My wife and daughter love the beach...as crazy as this might sound, I HATE going to the beach. Laying on sand, or wading chest deep in the water has never been very appealing to me.

This brings me to another question. I have looked at some of the trips out of South Padre Island (where we usually go every summer) and saw a couple of interesting trips. But if it's just me, can I still go since I won't have a buddy? How do you guys deal with that?

Megalodon
    Images
    If you're going on a charter, let them know you need a buddy and you're a new diver, most charters are very good about helping you not only buddy up but ensure you're safe in the process. There are instabuddy horror stories, but for the most part, all of mine have been great!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    Do they make you wear a "new diver" button? :-)

So what happens if I am the only single diver? Do they just not let me go?

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    My wife and daughter love the beach...as crazy as this might sound, I HATE going to the beach. Laying on sand, or wading chest deep in the water has never been very appealing to me.

This brings me to another question. I have looked at some of the trips out of South Padre Island (where we usually go every summer) and saw a couple of interesting trips. But if it's just me, can I still go since I won't have a buddy? How do you guys deal with that?
    I've not yet had a problem being buddied up on the boat. I do tell them well ahead of time. I did an oil rig dive out of South Padre a couple of years ago. We were told to stay within the "legs" of the rig and you won't get lost.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information