Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So

Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    The odd part for me was that our experiences so closely mirrored each other.
    Ah. That more sense... You have to use small words. I'm easily confused.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Ah. That more sense... You have to use small words. I'm easily confused.
    Oh, the things you'll do
    the places you'll be
    after you've learned
    to dive in the Sea!

--Dr. Snorkel
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Guppy
    Lol that's good

Grouper
    realistically most regulators now a days all work well. You want to look for something in your price range and something that can be regularly serviced where you are.

I personally dive Apex for my backgas and oceanic for my deco bottles. I dive cold (under ice), deep, and dark/muddy....both regs great for that
    My wife dives sherwood as she is only a recreational diver and sherwoods are pretty much bulletproof and are great for cold water

Zeagle is another tried and trusted brand at a good price
    I hear good things about scuba pro and atomic but IMO they are too pricey for what you get...I find apex are a more solid reg at a better price

Poseidon is a very solid and well working reg, but they are not common enough anymore for servicing....at least where I am......and the cost of them.

Hollis and dive rite also have some very good regs at some decent prices.

TadPole
    I just purchased an edge regulator for my daughter. Breathes VERY NICELY AND WAS ONLY $300 at ST. I personally dive with an aqualung legend and have been extremely happy with it

Images
    What's your budget?
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Sherwood Brut; I've been diving with mine (regularly serviced) for 15 years!

Guppy
    Poseidon Cyklon. Mine is almost as old as I am, and is still an absolute tank. Even rebuilt it once about 5 or 6 years ago.

TGK,

Did you ever get a set of regs? Are you looking for new or used? You could probably get a good set of regs used and bring them to ScubaToys to get serviced.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    OK - here's my opinion. I've had the least expensive set going - Cressi AC2/XS2 - for as long as I've been diving. The 1st stage is an unbalanced piston and the 2nd stage is ? - I've dove that set in cold (42F) and dirty (rolling milfoil mats that had sat on the bottom for 2-3 years) and deep (131 feet) and it never hiccuped. Moreover, the service manuals for both are online and I service them myself easily. The 1st stage couldn't be easier to pop apart and clean and setting the IP is totally simple. Setting the 2nd stage cracking is also simple. Best part - you can get the set for $155.

I recently retired the 2nd stage to my travel save-a-dive kit in favor of a Hollis 500SE - solely to get the bubbles off to the side. I will admit that the Hollis breathes a wee bit better but it cost $100 more than the entire Cressi set so it damn well better breathe better. Does it breathe a $100 better - nahhh - but it does keep the bubbles out of my line of sight - priceless. LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information