Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So

Guppy

So

What do you guys think is a good 1st and 2nd stage to buy that's not crazy expensive but will last for a while?

Images
    No, you didn't just ask that. Let the games begin and just so it's on the record you are all wrong and I am right.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Might as well ask what you favorite bar in New Orleans is.
    The best one is in your price range, breaths easy, services well, and is rugged.
    The two areas I did not skimp were my computer and regulator. Wrong as I am I dive the atomic B2. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it breaths very easy. has a swivel hose and it has a flow adjustment on it.

I notice you are near Dallas. Go in and see the guys at scuba toys, they will hook you up

Guppy
    I always feel intimidated when I go in there....you know like a siren goes off "Noob Alert"

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    No, you didn't just ask that. Let the games begin and just so it's on the record you are all wrong and I am right.

So you dive with what? Since you are right

When I started diving I couldn't tell the difference between a mid-price and a top of the line regulator. After a year of renting regs, I had enough experience to make a choice. Of course for where I dive, a good cold water regulator is necessary. I would suggest diving a little bit before buying, just so you can get a little bit of experience. But it depends on location. I am 5 minutes from my local dive shop...

Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    I always feel intimidated when I go in there....you know like a siren goes off "Noob Alert"
    Everyone was a Noob once upon a time. Answering questions helps keep everyone sharp....

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmorgan View Post
    When I started diving I couldn't tell the difference between a mid-price and a top of the line regulator. After a year of renting regs, I had enough experience to make a choice. Of course for where I dive, a good cold water regulator is necessary. I would suggest diving a little bit before buying, just so you can get a little bit of experience. But it depends on location. I am 5 minutes from my local dive shop...
    I had an issue today with a rental reg and don't wanna risk that again. I would, in the near future, like to at least own my own reg..and a computer, and a bc, and lots of other stuff

Megalodon
    Images
    Don't listen to Zeagle, he's totally off base when it comes to regulators! And I'M Right!!!

I would also recomend going to Scuba Toys and getting them to help you in person.

Personally, I use Apeks and Poseidon. I love them both and they are great regualtors. Poseidon's are a little pricey and service can be a bear in places, but they are a tried and true design and I totally like the no left/right/upside down to the Jetstream second. However, they have an downstream valve that can be problematic if you don't understand how they work.

A lot of questions to answer: Piston vs. Diaphram? Balanced vs. unbalanced? Adjustable 2nd or standard? Sealed vs. unsealed? Is manufacturer "X" worth more than "Y" and why? Who should I stay away from?

There are as many right answers as there are forum members.

A little research will definitely help you out:
    Scuba Regulator - How To Choose The Best Dive Regulator For You

How to buy a Scuba Regulator - Scuba Diving News

Best Scuba Diving Regulator Reviews: Top Rated Regulators Make Your Dive Easier

Both are pretty good short reads that will help you know what questions to start off with when shopping.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

Atomic!

I tried a few before i purchased. My first reg had some issues.

ST put me into an Atomic Z2 which has been super dependable. It is my travel reg now. I liked it so much that I also bought a second hand B2 which Is DIN and which lives at the coast with my tanks. They are both much better than anything I tried before purchasing. They are easy breathers at any depth and I don't even think about them during my dives.

I am into low maintenance equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information