Thread: Maui/Kona 2013

Shark

Maui/Kona 2013

We are headed home from a marvelous magical 12 days in Hawaii.
    15 dives...
    Most of them with Ed Robinson from Kihei wharf on Maui.
    3 dives with Extended Horizons in Lahaina Maui
    and Manta/Blackwater dive with Big Island divers out of Kona on the Big Island

This is our 4th trip to Hawaii and out 1st trip in Feb. it goes down into the high 50's at night!! I was not prepared for this so we found a second hand shop and picked up a few warmer clothes.
    water temp was between 75 and 78. our 5 ml suits were adequate but most of the locals were diving with 7 ml suits
    we saw sooo much. Mantas turtles sharks nudibranchs hermit crabs oh so much.
    more later lunch just arrived...
    God is good, no matter what!!

Shark Founding Member
    Tease! Can't wait to read a full trip report.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Shark
    on a warm and fuzzy note ...Zenagirl I met Ed Robinson and I told him that Zenagirl had sent us to him.. he smiled and said 'She is one of our best advocates'

Shark
    ok.... You all know that I have limited geek skills.. how do I get my pics on this thread???? they are on my computer and I have managed to get them to shutterfly but I can't seem to get the 2 of them together....

I would like to put pics right on this thread, just like the big boys do....

Shark
    I still need help figuring out how to get pics to this forum.... how do I find the url for the pics I have on shutterfly???

Images
    It's the scuba god's punishing you for going to Hawaii and then telling the rest of us about it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    Kona Manta and blackwater dive

we dove with Big Island divers. We dropped our gear off at noon and met them at the dock at 5 pm. They had all of our gear set up and had us over weighted so we would be able to sit on the bottom for the manta dive.
    1st of many dive briefings on the shore. 12 snorkelers and 12 divers on 1 boat and not particularly crowded. We had plenty of room to move around. We had lots of instructions about how to identify the mantas. They have a white belly and they have spots on them in specific patterns that are like fingerprints for us. They have identified 247 mantas and have given them names like James Kirk, Lefty, spock, Blair, suzie. they had 11 at their last dive. The boat starts and we are on our way by about 5:20p we see a baby humpback whale spyhopping so we stopped to watch for a while.... well, until Momma popped up between baby and us.... then we moved along don't mess with Momma!!! She is about the size of 10 school buses and the boat ....is NOT.. More instructions on the boat at the site. 'do not pee in your wet suit' apparently sharks can sense the urea and think there is a meal inside the wetsuit. so no peeing....geesh....I wish they had told me before my 3rd bottle of water.... At the site we are instructed to swim to the campfire and then drop straight down. Campfire is a bank of 12 huge lights anchored on the bottom and pointing up at the surface. We each have another light and the snorkelers are attached to a raft of a bank of lights and they each have a light. There were 12 boats there and at least 4 campfires on the bottom. We swam to the campfire on the surface and I missed the signal to descend. When I realized that I was with a bunch of snorkelers I checked under water and the DM Flipper and Hubby were looking up at me. So I dumped my air and descended when I was at about 30 ft I stopped descending hmmm.... Flipper grabbed my fins, I dumped air and hubby brought me my weights. My weight pockets had fallen out...arrgh They dragged me to the bottom and manhandled me, turned me on my back and jammed my pockets back in. When I was allowed to turn upright again my octo was free flowing...I banged on it and switched it with my reg and my reg was blowing more air then the octo so i switched again, I purged my octo and it settled and stopped free flowing. yay... We swam about 20 ft to the campfire and sat on our butts with our legs straight out in front of us. That is kind of hard to do with the amount of surge. Flipper came around and put 2 large rocks on my lap. That helped some, he came back again and shoved a rock under my butt and one on each hip and that seemed to work fairly well. I checked my air...dang....I started with 3000 and now at 13 minutes I'm at 2200.....I am NOT going to leave this dive early because I wasted air!!!! breathe slowly...slow heart rate...breathe slowly....I looked up WOW!!!! MANTA BALLET!!!! Oh I am not disappointed!!!! There were 8 mantas they swooped and swirled and twisted and dipped and dived... They are sooo graceful!!!! They came at my light full speed ahead and silently glided by, 2 inches from my head!! If my eyes were closed I would have never known they were there!! One of them slowed down over my head while I exhaled. He cupped his body around my bubbles and took them with him about 20 ft and then released them! They must like the 'bubble bath' Hubby got some great shots he finialy just let the video roll instead of trying to get specific mantas. the dive was over way too soon!!! I was cold from sitting still at 41 ft in my 5ml in 75 degree water.. I don't care I would do this dive again in a heartbeat!!!!

so lessons learned...
    #1 PACK YOUR OWN WEIGHTS
    #2 PACK YOUR OWN WEIGHTS
    #3 PACK YOUR OWN WEIGHTS

Shark
    If I can figure out how to post pics and video i'll do that soon

blackwater dive later I have to work tomorrow....time for sleep...

Shark
    really.....dumped my link to manta video AGAIN?????
    HAWAII2013-293 - YouTube

I hope this works!!

Thread Information