Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting together a BP/W setup

TadPole

Putting together a BP/W setup

Hi folks. While I love my local dive shop dearly, they only stock Halcyon BP/W products, and most of the dive shops nearby don't stock anything even similar.

So, I'm looking at putting one together from pieces bought online and shipped (hopefully from ST) here to NZ. Is this likely to be easy?

Anybody got any tips on what I should be looking for with compatibility?

Cheers

Images
    There's a ton of threads on BP/W's if you do a search on the forum that cover all kinds of information. Also, check out the video section of this forum...they have some pretty good video's on BP/W's.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    One of the nicest things about a BP/W set up is 99.999% of the gear is interchangable and compatible.

The tec diving standard is 11" center to center on the holes for attaching either a set of doubles or a STA so all the wings have that arrangement in the eyelets. Knowing that there can be a little vaiance in those 11", look for a back plate with a bit of an oval in the bottom hole. The Dive rite plate has this, but so does the Hog back plate. In fact, the Hog plate has 3 upper holes and a long bottom hole so you have a little option for wing position. I would also say 99.9% of the plates are set up for 2" webbing

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Thanks for the response.

Is webbing the harness material? I've done quite a bit of searching but there is a lot of information as to what I need, how it all fits together and the various differences between the specifics.

Such as how is weight distributed in traditional harness setups? Do I use a weight belt? The Halcyon rig I tried used weight pockets but I havn't seen any on the other setups that seem to come ready to dive.

If the plates are all uniform to make tech diving easier, does that mean that it doesn't really matter if I mix and match say, a Hollis harness with a HOG plate and an Oxycheq wing, or should I aim for brand uniformity?

Grouper
    Images
    The webbing and the harness are the same thing. You can mix and match. I have the Oxychq wing and the Diverite backplate. I dive a weight belt just because I prefer to get rid of the weight belt and keep the harness on as I climb into the boat. I do put some weight on the cam strap in pouches about 4 lbs just to keep the empty tank down.

It really comes down to preference that is why the BP/W is so great as navy said its pretty much modular and can fit any type of diver or diving.

Megalodon
    Images
    The harness is another big choice: From the simple one piece Hogarthian or "Hog" harness to the more comfortable "Comfort harnesses like the Dive Rite Transplate Harness. The Hog harness is the favored DIR harness as it has few fail points: the buckle to be exact. there are those who will argue that the slots where the harness goes through the plate are fail points, but I say no as frayed webbing at these points should result in the harness being replaced way before a dive. The comfort harness does have more possible fail points, those being the one or two shoulder strap buckles and the waist buckle, but given that these are the same clips that are used in skydiving, I'm comfortable using them.

Some other info on back plates: They now come in 3 flavors: Stainless Steel, Aluminum and ABS Plastic. As a genereal rule, a Stainless plate is 5-6 lbs (2.5-3 kg), Aluminum 2-3 lbs (1-1.5 kg) and the ABS is usually around a pound (0.5 kg) A lot depends on your diving. For all around diving I would choose the stainless as you can reduce the amount of lead you carry. If you're already loaded down with doubles and stages as a lot of tech divers, an Aluminum or ABS is the way to go.

Weight distribution and where to carry it is as personally customizable as your BP/W rig: you can go with a weight belt as Clernix does, simple easy to adjust and change your weight, also easy to remove but can be accidentally released in the water and then you definitely have big floaty issues as well as accidentally unbuckled instead of your waist belt (though to help avoid this, I always had my weight belt buckle facing the opposite direction of my BP/W waist belt)

Another wieght is something in line with the DUI weight and trim harness - a favorite of mine. Adjustable, takes some of the weight off your waist and puts it on your shoulders when out of the water, still has jettisonable wieght though the pockets are pricey if you do. It does not come off easy in the water due to how it's put on.

Weight pockets work well too. most manufacturers have something in line with the Dive Rite weight pockets. They can be adjusted somewhat on the waist belt and kept in place with slides, the either havea droppable pocket or there is a way to dump the weight quickly. They're not removable in the water as a wight belt, but still are a good weight option.

The other nice thing about wieght on your harness is you can add non-jettisonable weight in weight pocket like the XS Scuba pockets that carry up to 5 lbs - 2.5 kg each. These are great for adding trim wieght to your rig: Add them to the shoulder straps on the back side if you're feet heavy (or lower the wing a bit if you can) add one to your lower tank strap if you're using a single tank. if you're head heavy.

As Clernix said, you can definitely mix and match. I've used a Dive Rite plate, a GUE wing and Hollis harness with no problems and no issues.

Navy's post is a good one. The full list of what you will need is:

1. Plate
    2. Harness
    3. Wing
    4. Single Tank Adapter (STA)
    5. Tank Straps
    6. Wingnuts and washers for STA

Make sure the washers are stainless steel. Some STA might come with the wingnuts.

You might need weights but it depends on you set up. I use a thick steel plate (8lbs) and a steel tank. So I need zero weight added with 3mm wetsuite. If I use an aluminum plate (2lbs) or wear my 7mm wetsuite I'd put the missing weight on a belt. You can get weight pockets (like the Halcyon pockets) which you put on your harness.

Have a look at http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...sBackPlateWing. It will give you a list of what you needed. You can then look at http://www.scubatoys.com/store/searc...0&txtCatName=2. There is a video at the top and the items lists are a great selection to pick and choose from.

My setup is a custom plate, Halcyon harness, XSScuba tank straps, Hollis STA and a Halcyon wing. Bought the washers and wingnuts from a hardware store. Everything was used. I bought things in parts because I knew I could mix and match.
    Last edited by scubadiver888; 02-20-2013 at 20:41.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    what you need

plate
    1) ss plate if dive mainly dry , or if you needs lots of weights for diving (the latter may be a greater issue)
    2) al plate if doubles 80, with stages or diving mainly wet
    3) go with a STA - even for those wings that dont need STAs. I find them to be more stable, especially in rough seas. Cam bands , if you can get old BCs, u can recycle the bands. 2 will be ideal
    4) stay away from ABS
    5) brands have DSS, OMS, DR, Oxycheq etc (i am not a big fan of H as its too $$ , although i do use their gear when i get a good price)

Bladder
    1) if single tank AL, anything from 20-35 pounds lift. Some question between doughnut and horseshoe - i have tried before and dont notcie anything much.
    2)if double tank 80s, 40 pound wing will suffice, if 100s probably 50 pound.
    3) try to get one that has a separate outershell and bladder
    4) brands as above - H again is overpriced, but i use one of their wings since i got it real cheap

Harness
    1) some like the stiff ones, some like it softer. i prefer the former as it allows me a good "feel". But this is a personal preference.
    2) side note - the triglides usually slips easier on the software ones.

rest of the misc configuration such as
    a) washer/nuts
    b) d-rings, tri glides and their placement
    c) single end , double end clips
    -> just make sure its stainless steel.
    -> and no need worry about the misc configuration - can poll people as you move along

most impt is to settle first three items above, then rig the harness on your body.

TadPole
    Sorry for the slow response, the first semester back at university has kept me quite busy.

Thank you so much, folks, both for the clarification on options for weight management and the list of what I actually need. I probably would have ended up shipping in the plate, harness and wing separately and none of the other necessary small items like washer, tank straps or even likely necessary bits like the trim weight pockets.. This thread has been incredibly helpful for giving me confidence that I can assemble this from parts ordered online without spending more money than I'm saving doing so.
    Last edited by Nereus; 03-06-2013 at 10:35.

Megalodon
    Images
    Glad we could help. It doesn't end here though. If you have any questions while putting it together, just ask. I'd like to think we're a helpful bunch, BTW: Did you get a HOG harness or comfort harness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information