Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a brand of gear you absolutely will not buy?

I've seen two Princeton Shockwave light switches snap also - not my lights but it makes me wary.

Generally I don't consider Mares equipment post-Hub. Some of it seems gimmicky. Also I've personally found 2 of their weight pouches in two different countries. Both near moorings so I suspect there's a problem with their locking mechanism. My friend also lost one of hers walking thru the surf line once.

I liked Dacor when parts were still available. I can blame that on Mares also right?

Barracuda
    I'm probably in a minority here, but... I probably won't buy Zeagle again. While they have put my Ranger back together a few times, when their tech F'd up my RKO rebuild they did precious little make right on it.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Grouper
    I generally don't go near scuba pro or atomic due to the bang for buck ratio.....pay way too much for gear that is no where near as good as my apex, and are way more expensive to service then my apex as well.

Other then that, i'm not a fan of halcyon....their gear is well made.....but I don't like paying the "H" tax, there are plenty other manufactures that make the same quality, if not better, for better price.

On the flip side to that, i have to say the best customer service I have gotten has come from Light Monkey.

Shark
    Images
    Dacor

Sine Timore!

TadPole
    I'm guessing you're all referring to the defunct Dacor and not the company that is now Mares?

I won't buy TUSA products, mainly because I don't like buying japanese goods given their track record with the ocean. I shy away (but am not ruling out a purchase if it's cheap enough) from ScubaPro from what was mentioned in my initial post, it seems like they've had a history of money first, people second.

Interesting about the Princeton lights, you may have just saved me an expensive paperweight.

Shark
    Images
    right Nereus, I have an old Dacor reg that I like a lot, had it serviced by a LDS in AZ but they will not have the parts needed forever.

Sine Timore!

Grouper
    I've never (yet) been let down by any gear I have purchased. The only thing I've purchased and would not again is a MARA (Miniature Ascent Rate Alarm) - it works fine but with my tinnitus I can't hear it - should have known. Now I have a Mares Icon and it has the absolute best ascent display ever - the reason I bought it.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by diversteve View Post
    Generally I don't consider Mares equipment post-Hub. Some of it seems gimmicky.
    You know... I've never actually seen anyone using a Mares (or Dacor) HUB.

I wonder if they are still around, and in service.

You see them on eBay occasionally. I saw one new in a store about 4-5 years ago. dive inn appears to be selling the latest model: Mares HUB AVANTGARDE. Bcd-jackets Hub, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

It appears they don't sell them in the U.S. any longer:
    Due to the Mares new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to United States Of America

There isn't one particular brand I would never buy. The whole thing behind not buying Dacor, Voit, etc. comes from the fact that getting them services is difficult, if not impossible. So anything which is difficult to get serviced would be something I void. This includes products which are still current but finding someone to service them, or service them at a reasonable price, would be difficult.

There are individual items I would not buy. The fins which flip up against your shins (supposed to make it easier to walk in on land or climb ladders) comes to mind.

I also would not use certain pieces for certain applications. For example, I carry a UK Q40 light for diving in the Caribbean. I use it to peek inside holes and it works well for that. I would never use it to penetrate a wreck. It wouldn't even serve as a good backup light.

Or when I'm going through a wreck I might find myself flipping, twisting, rotating in all kinds of directions. In open water my Sherwood Blizzards are great and bullet proof but they breath wet in certain positions. So I'd never use them for wreck diving.

Bottom line, there is no easy answer to this question. Lots of good answers so far. Most the time, talk to experienced divers before you buy each item. This is what the members here are good for.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information