Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: low times high times

Images
    Good job keeping your wits about you and not panicking. You knew you had air so you stayed calm. Obviously, dripping weights would have been the right thing. The other thing in my mind is don't take off swimming for the boat. Spend time signaling and let them come get you. You can tire really quick trying to swim in calm seas, let alone currents. Better not tire yourself out and let them come get you.

All in all, good job.

Snagel

Grouper
    thanks, still have to wonder why that ring came loose like that. I am taking it in to get looked at
    Donnas zena has the cap snug down flush with fabric. mine has a gap
    makes me wonder if someone did not lift iit by the hose when it was weighted

Images
    Can't believe somebody would try and lift by the inflator hose, but who knows....other strange things have happened.

Barracuda
    Images
    The loose cap is not that uncommon. It happened on my BC and I have read of it happening a few times since. Lesson learned is to FULLY check all of you dive gear before the dive.

Grouper
    of all the thousands of incident reports i read, i missed that one
    so what are the other common fail points
    maybe i can learn about those in a safer way

Barracuda
    Good job! I tell my students that dropping weights is a must in a situation like that. I also tell them that if they are pissed at me later because they lost the weights, I will cover the replacement cost. I feel that strongly about the concept. I would rather them be able to complain to me! Of course it only applies to when things go bad, not just drop the belt when getting on the boat Good job with the turnout.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Images
    What to check on the BCD? Some things I've seen or heard about and what I do.....

Obviously, the cap on the inflator hose coming lose.
    The diaphram inside the inflator hose gets gunked up and will not open/close - won't let air in/out.
    The cable inside inflator hose breaks or tears apart - won't let air out.
    Punctures to bladder - fill up and loses pressure.
    Tears.
    Strapping breaking or connectors breaking.
    Inflator hose not attached correctly - won't fill up.
    Bladder full of water - displaces ability to lift.
    Items hanging off BCD - snag issues.

Things I can think of off the top of my head.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by PyrateDiver View Post
    the BCD incident really made me question my ability to dive safe. that being said, my training helped me remain calm and overcome the incident
    Then you're probably good-to-go for life. "Scuba class" isn't about learning to dive, it's about how to deal with problems that arise while diving. And it sounds like that kicked in, you kept your shiznet together, handled your business and carried on. Nicely done FNG.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Another issue, that seems to happen, is the tank is not securely attached to the BCD. It is usually identified before going into the water. I was involved in an incident where my buddy signalled he wanted to go to the surface. When he got there, he said something was wrong with his hoses. The tank valve was snagged on the tank strap and the tank had slid down, pulling on the hoses. It could have been worse. It is not easy to get a tank back under the strap while floating on the surface.

After your BCD failure, I think you are ready to dive. My instructor always taught us to stop, think, act. You did well in handling a touchy situation. My only suggestion is to drop weights. They are replaceable.

Grouper
    Here is my question about proper weight
    I have read that properly weighted you should be able to float at the surface with a half empty tank at eye level, and lungs half filled
    if that is the case I should not have had to struggle that much at the surface as my tank was at somewhere between 500 - 700

At the time I had 14 lbs, and later my DM and I played around on the bottom and came to 18 lbs was what seemed right diving my 3mm new oceanic long john and a long sleeve shirt
    After that I was able to dive with no air at all in BCD and control buoyancy with breaths of air in my lungs. (breath in go up, breath out go down)

So if I went lower in weight (14) and had to even kick down the first 15 feet on descent, would I not face problems holding at safety stop since my tank would be empty and expanding, BCD empty and lungs at least with some air in them.

That is where I get confused. 18 seemed perfect on the bottom and descent was good. But I would have hated to try and kick 18lbs versus 14. And I still dont get how if I was properly weighted (even lite) struggling to stay on the surface was so hard.
    Maybe I was more panicked than I thought?

I plan to do some more research on the weight profiles and figure out how to dial this in. My major concern is how would Donna have fared in this situation. She is a competent diver, but we both need to be better. I have started practicing manual inflating my BCD on surfacing just to make that skill second nature, and Donna will be using that soon as well in case inflator restrictions are an issue.

If anyone has resources on weight profiles ascent and descent they would be greatly appreciated.
    we will both be carrying safety sausages with inflator valves soon, as I understand they can be a redundant surface flotation device if needed. Sure would have been handy here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information