Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh no am I "THAT GUY"

Grouper

oh no am I "THAT GUY"

I was editing video yesterday and noticed that i was always the guy at the back of the pack

so my first thought was man I need to focus on keeping up
    then i realized it was mostly due to slowing down to look at things and video

so then i have too ask, what the heck is the hurry
    there is a dive plan, and a limited amount of time, but do most people rush through a reef, or am I just that guy holding everyone up

Most people rush through the reef. I'm the guy at the back of the pack. So long as I can find my way back to the boat I have no problem with people racing off ahead of me.

I found if I was at the head of the pack, I'd stop to look at something and within seconds have a dozen guys kicking me in the head as they attempted to move in and have a look themselves. By staying at the back of the pack I could watch everyone and avoid the bad divers plus I got to see a lot more by not rushing. Pretty much every Caribbean dive I go on, when I get back to the boat I talk about all the stuff I saw and most the divers are all, "I didn't see that."

I'm sure there are dive ops who love it when everyone is back on the boat in 20 minutes because they can then get back to shore and take the next group out. A good dive op will know what the NDL is for a dive, assume there is at least one team that will hit NDL and therefore cause the dive to be that length of time. If it ends sooner, the crew has more time to wash the gear and prep for the next group.

And if you aren't diving from a boat, no one is waiting for you when it is a shore dive. Or at least they shouldn't be.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    I'm with you, I'm usually the person in the back of the pack. I like it there and don't see a dive as a race. I like to take my time and look at things and usually find things that others swam by. Last year in the Grand Caymans the whole group missed a nurse shark napping under a ridge. I found him and alerted the group who all had to turn around to take a look at my find. Also, I don't know why, but it gives a good vantage point to keep an eye on the group....not sure why I have this tendency, but I like to keep an eye on the whole group and often find myself counting the divers to make sure everybody is there.

Snagel

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    IMO- Most people rush through dive sites, including DM's.

Interesting the OP is referring to Coz, something I have found amusing is the fact that many feel the need to fin excessively/swim in a current.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    then I dont feel so bad, i tend to be that way in most of my life. getting in a hurry doing a lot of things just ends up wasting time.
    dont mind being different, seems to work better, but hate to be an annoyance

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PyrateDiver View Post
    then I dont feel so bad, i tend to be that way in most of my life. getting in a hurry doing a lot of things just ends up wasting time.
    I never feel I am "rushing" a dive nor do I feel the DM is rushing us ever. I do try to keep within close proximity... but when you're shooting video, you are being meticulous about your framing and slowing down to get good steady video - which sometimes works out great because it allows me time to set up for a good shot if the currents aren't too fast on the drift. And having you in back of me always gives me a certain calm.

Megalodon
    Images
    Personally, I like being that guy. Stop and smeel the coral, I always say. As long as my buddy is within easy viewing/reaching, that's all I worry about. Besides, I'm cruising along nice and easy, I'm not using as much air. I can come up when I reach the spot where the rest are already doing their safety stop.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    I am almost always at the back of the pack. Last year at Roatan on one dive the group got so far ahead I could barley see their bubbles to find them. It always makes me wonder why they are in such a hurry? I know they don't see much or most of the small fish or critters.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Come on now guys, we can't all be in the back. Tell the truth, you just don't want to get lost, right?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Quote Originally Posted by PyrateDiver View Post
    I usually find the vast majority of people just follow the crowd. When they see I'm not rushing and hear about all the cool stuff I saw and they missed they actually stop and think about what they are doing. In those cases it becomes hard to be at the back of the pack... because everyone starts taking their time.

THE BEST ADVICE I ever got was it is not a race. A Course Director told me to take my time and enjoy myself. It really has been the best advice I ever got (well that and don't eat yellow snow ).
    This signature left intentionally blank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information