Thread: Dive Flag

Guppy

Exclamation Dive Flag

So excuse my really dumb question. I was reading that on lake that a dive flag is required...so I looked up dive flags at Scuba Toys and see them....but how do you use them? Do you add a weight to them, hook them to you or what?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I like to put mine on a reel. I never hook it to me. That way I can always let go.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Guppy
    SO what do you do with the reel? Is it attached to you in some way or what? I know that these queestions are dumb but I really don't know.

Images
    Several options and yes on most lakes they are required. I've never seen anybody get a ticket for not having one, but have seen park rangers talk to some divers for not displaying dive flags or not staying close to the flag. Me personally have one with a weight on the bottom of the shaft holding the flag. I have a string and clip on a weight and throw it overboard. I personally do not like towing a flag.

The other side of the coin....I do know many divers that refuse to dive with a flag on a lake. Why? They attract jet skis and boats. I think park rangers are a little lenient on the dive flags for divers because they cannot control the jet skis....at least on our lakes.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    SO what do you do with the reel? Is it attached to you in some way or what? I know that these queestions are dumb but I really don't know.
    Usually, rather than a reel, I will use a power cord wrap-thing or one of these with 1/4" yellow polypropelene line:

I like the polypro line as it's juuust a little bouyant and won't sink and tangle if there's a little slack in the line. As others have said: always hold, never clip or tie it to yourself (or buddy!). There have been incidents where a boat has run over the flag and started to drag it so it's better to let it go than take the express elevator to the surface-bad things can happen.

Snagel is right though, there have been other incidents here boats and jetskis have used the dive flag as a racing bouy and others have pulled along side and tried to swipe it.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    What snagel said, I tie a line & weight to it drop it to the bottom of the lake.
    Don't like towing it.
    Say When....

Thread Information