Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Undergarments?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images

Cheap Undergarments?

Hello boys and girls

I am looking for opinions on the value of designed undergarments. I am a cheap old fart and haven't sprung $300-$400 for something designed to dive in. Right now I am using a good base layer but my mid layer is a cotton union suit. This just isn't getting the job done. Cabela's has some 300 gr fleece on sale. Am I on the right track? Will I be disappointed? Should I just shut up and spend the money?

Who is using what? Why? And are you happy with it?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Barracuda
    Stop and just get some good 4th element. I did some St Clair river dives today 33 degrees. Used 4th Element Xero therm, 2 layers ( one borrowed) I had left my artics at home. Also used the ozone jacket. Only thing that got cold was my hands. ( borrowed old worn out 3 finger gloves) The right undergarment will make the diving alot more enjoyable.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Barracuda
    Images
    Here is the one that our shop is talking about. Whites Thermal Fusion Undergarment - YouTube Not cheap and it better be really cold water. I have set of Hollis 100g jump suit that I use in water down to 48 degrees and it keeps me warm but I don't get cold easy. I do have the Hollis 200g but only wore once and and was really warm in 50 degree water but I do hate the cuffs on the arms and the ankles.

Side note they are having DUI days in April at Beaver and you can check out the DUI underwear for small fee. I planning on being there this year to check it out.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Images
    I'm using various combinations of wicking and fleece from Cabela's. Works okay, but I tried on some undergarmets with my suit at DUI Dog Days a few years back boy was it warm....also came with the $400 price tag. Have to say the pricey stuff works great....I too hate to spend that kind of money on undergarmets.

Snagel

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I did the Dog Days thing two years ago too. Unfortunately,it was pouring down rain that day. Everything was wet, so I wasn’t overlyimpressed. I was all set to spend the weekend this year when the wife askedabout Mexico. I chose Mexico and to ask you guys.

(post attempt #2)
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Barracuda
    Images
    Ops - I need to correct my post. I have the Hollis 100 and I do not have the Hollis 200. What I thought was the Hollis 100 is the Pinnacle Temperate Undergarment. I'm probably going to sell the Hollis 100g but I won't know to next week for sure. Hollis sent me a XXL female and that is the one I wore at Bennet Springs that didn't fit, heck I couldn't even get my own fins on. This one here is the replacement and is a XXL male that has only been tried on and never dove.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-25-2013 at 16:40.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    So i have some 4th element arctics that i use for the ice.

having said that, long before i got those, i was wearing a good base layer and some good warm fleecy thermals from an outdoor store.

Trick is to find something that is good and warm for you that's not to bulky. Doesn't have to be from a dive mfg to keep you warm.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ron's undergarments. apparently they are name brand without the logo. http://www.ebay.com/usr/rondel101bjrr

I also have heard of people using polartec military issue garbs.

Guppy
    Images
    I just use regular cloths but I am also working while I am down so I tend to need less.

Barracuda
    Images
    I have a DUI 400 gram thinsulate that came with my used drysuit. It is realllllly warm, but quite buoyant. I also have one of Ron's 250 gram polartech. It is warm and a pretty nice item for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information