Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Hole

Images
    Found this on the other board:

In the Cobalt (and in quite a few other computers- any that are automatically altitude compensated), the pressure sensor is an absolute sensor- it measures pressure relative to a perfect vacuum- so it registers the ambient pressure at the start of the dive and adjusts the decompression algorithm appropriately for the actual surface ambient pressure. It is essentially functioning as an altimeter or barometer as well as a depth/ pressure gauge. In the Cobalt, we display an info screen with the barometric pressure in millibars as a diagnostic check of instrument accuracy, and you can see how the no-stop times adjust as you drive over a mountain pass. The sensor is quite accurate (to within a few millibars- a couple of inches of water), but only displays in whole feet or tenth of a meter increments as a depth gauge.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    The reason I believe it doesn't compensate for depth is the sign reads 81 feet deep and my dive log from my computer says the deepest I got was 77 feet. I was all over the bottom so if it did compensate I would have 90+ feet in computer dive log. That assuming that the sign is correct at 81 feet.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Megalodon
    Images
    Actually, I would go on a limb and say it was altitude adjusted. If it wasn't, it would have read more shallow than that. There's a nice site that has a lot of good altitude information: Lake Tahoe Scuba Diving, | Lake Tahoe Diving, | Scuba Lake Tahoe

http://www.scubalaketahoe.com/TableNonAlt-2.pdf shows what a guage will read if it doesn't zero and http://www.scubalaketahoe.com/TableAdj.pdf shows what your guage should read if it is adjustable.

I'm still a little shaky on the compensating vs. not compensating as far as depth guages. My understanding is that if your guage can not be zeroed will actually show that you are starting the dive about 20' up so it won't even read until you're at depth. Most computers today will automatically adjust deco obligations and NDL's to the altitude.

For deco/NDL's, 85' actual is 110' adjusted sea level for 85' at 5000' ASL. I've always used 5000' instead of the 4500, even though the pool level at Blue hole is close to 4500, there's a lot of area in Santa Rosa that are 4700 so I round up.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    The reason I believe it doesn't compensate for depth is the sign reads 81 feet deep and my dive log from my computer says the deepest I got was 77 feet. I was all over the bottom so if it did compensate I would have 90+ feet in computer dive log. That assuming that the sign is correct at 81 feet.
    Are we sure that the 81 foot sign is accurate?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    Images
    Cool I started a good thread! Good input from all, thanks.
    Actually putting in 12 hour days, I'm exhausted and will be getting out of Dodge to be home for Easter Weekend (Flagstaff) as soon as the job is done.
    If you are in area check out the new diesel pumps at Love's .. my handiwork

Sine Timore!

Guppy
    I always thought that the rule was any time that you go out of town, you do a Google search for diving locations

Shark
    we need pictures.....of anything...diving or even diesel pumps we can always fantasize that they are underwater....
    God is good, no matter what!!

Megalodon
    Images
    Ask and you shall receive: Heres a few I have from a vist there 8-11. The water was a little cloudy from a bunch of OW students.

We irritated an instructor since we were not diving normally: we were trying out the Hollis side mount system. Many thanks again to CWSWine for his help in that endevour.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    I did a little research about computer depth gauges and how they work. I found out that a computer depth gauge will compensate for the altitude but will display the actual depth. Otherwise my computer was showing 77 feet and there was really 77 feet deep. Now the mechanical depth gauge doesn’t compensate for altitude so they would shallower than the actual depth. Make sense....
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Are we sure that the 81 foot sign is accurate?
    I would guess it close based off the 77 foot computer reading.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information